Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ilogic or macro

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
swhite
956 Views, 12 Replies

Ilogic or macro

Not too informed on the coding part, but can anyone give me an idea on how to get my length field and my mass per sq ft field and put the result into a custom field in the BOM? Trying to get gross weight, not the net weight inventor gives by default. Want the weight of the part before any machining would be done to it.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Cadmanto
in reply to: swhite

Steven,

Is this link what you are looking for?

http://www.inventortales.com/2012/02/sum-of-its-parts-adding-column-values.html

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 13
jtylerbc

Depending on exactly what you're doing (how you're getting those Length and Mass per sq ft values), you may not need any coding at all.  Do you already have these values in your model as Model or User parameters?

If so, you can just check the Export column in the Parameters dialog box, and that will create a custom iProperty with the same name (and value) as the parameter.

Message 4 of 13
swhite
in reply to: Cadmanto

But therein lies the problem, the mass field only gives me the mass of the object as is, after finished, while I need it to give me the weight "before" any machining is done, "after" the machining is done 🙂

Would density x length simply be enough? This must work for plates, beams, channels, tubes, etc, so need a common formula I can apply to all parts.

We currently have a field that calculates the net weight and a way to total these up in the parts list, but am unable to get the gross weight before machining. We are getting it to work, but it requires we go into the content center and libraries and put codes and fields into every single part. Time consuming to say the least. Was wondering if anyone good at coding knew a simpler way, a macro or rule one could run instead?

Weight.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 13
Cadmanto

What about a derived part situation?  One that represents the before and one for the after.

Then you could have each linked and yet still give you the weights you need.

Would that work?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 13
swhite

Hey scott.

Thought of that, but we use FG to make oil rigs and sometimes parts need completely finished before work can begin on another part, and really not fond of the idea of having to place and trim all beams just to create a pre-finished model. Plus plates for connectors, etc., and then the 10,000 changes begin and the finished is not even close to the start 🙂

My problem is that LxWxT/density gives me what I need, but of course the length, width and thickness fields for beams, channels, tubes, etc are not labeled the same and beams have 2 thickness fields as web and flange.

That being said was wondering if the density of the material per square foot X length would give me what I need as we already have our custom length fields in the parts.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 7 of 13
Cadmanto

Hi Steven,

I getcha.  What about creating an LOD?  Would that work?  But after thinking about it that would still only give you one representation in the BOM I think.  Unless you did a factory file.  I think anyway you go is going to be some what complicated and time consuming.  Smiley Sad

What you might be looking at is making a suggestion in the Inventor IdeaStation

that would add an additional base parameter in the part, that is set by the user.  Meaning the user establish in cases like what you are describing when the base weight is.  Then you would have two weight values.  One as the raw setting and the after machining value.

See the idea I posted and see if it makes sense to you.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Additional-Weight-Parameter-Setting/idi-p/3887006

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 13
jtylerbc

This doesn't help you with the plates, but for some of the Frame Generator shapes (angles are the one I confirmed it exists on),  there is a user parameter MAS, which represents Mass per Length.

If you added this parameter to the families currently missing that value, then you could have the FG parts calculate their own pre-machined weight, without any coding.  Instead, you would just add another User Parameter, Gross_Weight.

Gross_Weight could then be defined as:

Gross_Weight = MAS x G_L

Message 9 of 13
mrattray

I think Curtis Waguespack's idea of part LOD's would cover this: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Level-of-Detail-for-Parts/idi-p/3822718

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 13
swhite
in reply to: jtylerbc

I'll look into that, thanks. I knew there was a density field which i figured with some math could use to get the gross weight, and maybe inventor already uses the MAS value to get the density. Thanks.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 11 of 13
swhite

Yah, the MAS field is in all the content center, but is an internal field, not in the parameter list. That's what we are currently doing is adding the MAS field to all the parts in the paramter list to do the calculation. Works good, was just thinking maybe an external ilogic rule could get that value for me, do the calc and place it in a custom field in the BOM. I know with ilogic you can grab internal values, not just parameter values. Thought maybe it would save me the time of adding the paramter MAS to every part.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 12 of 13
jtylerbc

Just to be clear, I wasn't proposing that you manually add the MAS parameter to every part you pull from Content Center.

Take the Equal Angle family as an example - for it, the MAS property IS in the parameters of the parts.  I was proposing that the other CC families be edited so the MAS property and the calculation for the gross weight would already be present.  From then on, you wouldn't have to do anything to your CC steel parts to get the gross weight.

Message 13 of 13
swhite

Yah, that's what I meant, we are editing the CC family tree table to add the MAS value. Believe me, if I had to do it to every part one by one it would NOT get done 🙂

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report