Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic & the API

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
Breeze104
1210 Views, 31 Replies

iLogic & the API

First lets make this clear... "I am not a programer", so if responces could be made simple (very simple) I would appreciate it.

That said...I have been looking over the API chart to figure out how to code something in an iPart. It looks like I should be able to (if I understand correctly) code it so it reads the "iPart factory" the "table row" then the "table cell".  But what I don't understand is how the syntax is used and/or what syntax to use.

I am trying to use a bit of iLogic to auto fill in the “Title” for the iPart model, that way I type the info once and not 2 times per size change. 

What I am trying to do is to pull the part number from the iPart table that I have already created and have the code read the cells in the table that contains the part numbers and if it is = to a certain number, then the out should change the Title according to what part number is in the cell that gets read.

I hope this makes sence… if not I could make a short video that may make more sence.

31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

Well ok but the way I read it.

I am trying to use a bit of iLogic to auto fill in the “Title” for the iPart model, that way I type the info once and not 2 times per size change

But I am also lost after giving up on why after reading it all still find all can be done in ipart. Smiley Happy

I don't see any reason for excel but carry on... Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 32
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

I agree iLogic isn't needed at all.

If you create an iPart you're using Excel, even if you don't actually open it up in another window. That's why Excel is required to be installed on your machine with Inventor in order to use iParts. All Swordmaster did was edit the iPart table in Excel instead of the crappy Inventor table editor, where more robust options were available.

The idea of making this "smart" is sort of like why you would want to use one dimension and a symmetry constraint rather than two identical dimensions.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 23 of 32
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

Oh ok if thats the case ok but the way I was reading he wanted ilogic to find a cell named title match it with his ipart table name part number to fill in the iproperties Title.

When the ipart can have a colunm in the table itself. Smiley Happy

But my reading is not the best yet working on it...... Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 32
mrattray

I think that was what the OP intended to do...

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 25 of 32
Breeze104
in reply to: swordmaster

Let me re-fraze......

How do I now get the cell info to populate the "Title" in the Project dialog tab in the iProps?

Message 26 of 32
swordmaster

First thing you need to do is to add the Title iproperty to your ipart table using the ipart author interface

open the ipart table

select the iproperties tab

expand the + next to the Summary tab

use the >> button to create the Title column

save and close the interface

open the table again using excel

add the code in the cells in the title column

Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Message 27 of 32
Breeze104

Well now that I am back in the drivers seat (after being ill and playing catch-up) I just wanted to say thanks to all who helped to figure out and understand what I needed to do.

Message 28 of 32
Breeze104
in reply to: Breeze104

@Swordmaster 

I have been working on your excel suggestion.  The problem I am running into is the fact that when I use the formula for combining the different colums in the "Description" colum it truns the colum red in the table inside of inventor.

See pic :  http://screencast.com/t/anUtMqeI3FOx

Also, when I switch from part to part it gives me an error that looks like this...

See pic :  http://screencast.com/t/tDLEEEMGlKYf

Basicly it wants to reformat the output from...

7Ga x 12-1/8 x 16-1/8   to 7Ga X 12 1/8 X 16 1/8

Not sure why.

Message 29 of 32
swordmaster

The description turning red in the ipart author table is expected behavior. The color is used by Inventor to flag that the value is controlled by a excel formula

Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Message 30 of 32
Breeze104

ok... I thought that might be the case, but I thought it would be a different color since red usually means ER-ROR  ER-ROR DOES NOT COMPUTE...

Message 31 of 32
Breeze104

Well, after alot of help from the Techs @ Autodesk I finally got the material description part of things ironed out...

When I was trying to use excel to manipulate the out out I kept getting capitalized letters and the numbers and spaces with no hyphen inbetween (ie. 7 1/2 X 3 1/2) which is very close to what I needed but not quite.....So with the gurus @ Autodesk giving me a hand they came up with this all iLogic code that gave me the prorper out put...

Dim partDoc As PartDocument = ThisDoc.Document
partDoc.ComponentDefinition.SetEndOfPartToTopOrBottom(True)

iProperties.Material = "Steel, Mild"
iProperties.PartColor = "Steel"

On Error Resume Next
iProperties.Value("Project", "Description") = SheetMetal.GetActiveStyle() & " x " _
& RoundToFraction(SheetMetal.FlatExtentsWidth, 1/64, RoundingMethod.Round).Replace(" ", "-") & " x " _
& RoundToFraction(SheetMetal.FlatExtentsLength, 1/64, RoundingMethod.Round).Replace(" ", "-")

partDoc.ComponentDefinition.SetEndOfPartToTopOrBottom(False)
iLogicVb.UpdateWhenDone = True

Thanks a bunch SWORDMASTER & the TECHS @ Autodesk

I hope this helps someone else as well.....

Message 32 of 32
Breeze104

I figured out that I could do the title info by adding the "Title" from the "properties tab" summary and entering the info in the created column.  I wish I had tought of this sooner.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report