Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illustrator to Inventor

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1871 Views, 6 Replies

Illustrator to Inventor

Hello, I'm new to Inventor. I'm currently having trouble transferring a design from Illustrator into Inventor. My process goes like this: In illustrator I export it as a .dwg. Then in Inventor I create a 2D sketch and click the ACAD button to import it. It works, but not in the way that I want. Only the outline shows up. I want a solid face that I can extrude and work with. But I have no idea how to go about this. Any help is appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
gsmith9810
in reply to: Anonymous

Not having used Illustrator, I would say that it >>MIGHT<< just be easier to re-create your sketch from scratch within Inventor and be done with it rather than try to save time by using an import that isn't really going to get you there.

I have recently taken a PDF, placed it on a sketch and traced the line work that was of importance to me, then placed the dimensions that were critical.

Not pretty, but it does work.

Illustrator is what the name implies, an illustration tool. That said, it will not generate line work to the tolerances needed by a tool like Inventor. Often, even importing ACAD work you will see that lines that APPEAR to be connected, aren't really.

Frustrating, I know!

- Gary

-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

If it brings in an outline of your shape you should be able to extrude this shape into a solid, you don't need a face to do this. If it does not allow you to extrude then your path is not closed. Right click a line in the sketch and select close loop, then select all lines around in a circular path untill it is closed. No different than making a square, circle shape, etc and extruding it.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I just tried Close Loop but it didn't work. It wouldn't let me select all the lines.
Message 5 of 7
nannerdw

If it's really complex, you might have better luck opening the drawing into AutoCAD and running the "Boundary" command ("BO" [Enter]) to create a closed polyine.  It's a lot more robust and forgiving than Inventor's "Close Loop" command, from my experience.  Then you can save the resulting polyline in its own file and open that into Inventor.

Don't rely on the exported lines to be perfectly precise, though.  If you need your dimensions to be exact, re-create it in Inventor.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Some lines may already be connected, if so they shld turn a different color. if already closed they will not let you select them. But it may still be best just to redo in inventor as your sketch will not be dimensioned or constrained.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to just remake it in Inventor, seemed like the easiest route.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report