Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illegal attempt to create identified child transaction...

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
ad64
3888 Views, 11 Replies

Illegal attempt to create identified child transaction...

Several times lately, I have had drawings mysteriously self-corrupt like this:

I save the drawing or check it in and everything seems fine. The next time I check it out, I receive a series of error messages:  "Illegal attempt to create identified child transaction inside an unidentified transaction". Sometimes the drawing opens in the end, but often times it repeatedly crashes and I am unable to access the file at all.

These drawings are usually somewhat complex with many discrete models and parts being referenced by the views. There may be about 100 views over approximately 10 pages. Often these views are of several levels of detail or positional representations of similar assemblies. Sometimes they contain multiple states of an iAssembly. Almost all of the files are driven from Excel and/or derived from other files.

I would like to know which of these items is the likely cause of this errror so that I can resolve this in the future. I note that people have inquired about this error message several times, yet no definitive answer as to its cause has been given by the developers. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it related to iParts, levels of detail, positional reps, derivations, excel-driven parts, etc?

Steve

Inventor 2008

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
bobvdd
in reply to: ad64

This error is probably caused by a defect in 2008 that happens way down deep in the code.
Could be triggered by many different workflows I suppose.

A couple of immediate things that run through my mind:

- is upgrading from 2008 to 2011 a possibility? Reason: we keep improving the code to guard against such messages.

- try to narrow down the dataset (on a backup copy of course) . 
  Reduce to 50 views and 5 pages. If you still see the problem reduce to 25 views on 2 pages etc.
- Remove parts , viewreps , posreps , break derived links etc until you no longer see the error.

- Eliminate the Vault factor. Does this happen outside the Vault environment as well (you mentioned check-in/checkout) ?

- Sometimes copying views or sheets  to a new drawing might give some relief.

I hope this gives you a clue on how to tackle such general error messages. 

Not exactly rocket science but it has helped me in the past to identify where the problem was.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 3 of 12
hazybark

I don't see a resolution to this query since inv 2008?. Has anyone been able to identify why this occurs? I am family of parts programming with variable parts and sub-assemblies using Inv 2012. I get the same error message (Illegal attempt to create identified child transaction...). Seems as though parts nesting is limited and gets iteslf into a recursive loop, maybe? Frustratingly, it seems at the same time, some of the parts lists misbehave. Some fields get left blank (mass calcs) in higher assies but generate OK when the variable iparts are opened on their own - Other parts list fields like part descriptions are fine in their iAssembly authoring tables but when mixed and matched (variable assies), just don't feature in parts lists?. Design variables in MDT and family tables in Pro-e were a breeze. I am forever having to overide part metadata in the Inventor parts lists. Sorry I can't make my clients IP datasets available.

Any Idea why this message....?

illegal attempt to create identified child transaction inside an unidentified transaction

Daryl

Inv. 2012

Vista 64b

Message 4 of 12
richiesuk

have this error msg while I want to inset a part to an assy...

inv 2013 bulid 170...

Message 5 of 12
LOONYLEN

I have an iPart with 384 members in the Vault.

I “Get” a copy of the file out to my local.

I delete the factory and the members and the members folder and any related .dwf’s from Vault.

I make a modification to the file, save, then generate new members.

Then check the file back into Vault using the Inventor add in.

*I’ve used this workflow over 30 times with no problems.*

This time, there is an issue.

I cannot get the file and members back into Vault.

There aren’t any files in the Vault (that I can see) that are preventing me from checking the file in.

The “Enforce Unique File Names” is not checked.

I can check other files into the Vault without issue.

While generating members, I used to get prompted to save every member as it was created.

One thing I did notice is when generating new members on my local, I’m no longer prompted to save each member.

The file opens fine, every member activates, no red crosses, no errors.

If I run the .dwf publisher (Export .dwf) on my local, it takes forever to run and when finished I get the attached errors.

The Design Review software is up to date.

Has anyone seen or heard of this issue?

Len

Senior Designer/Cad Administrator
Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon CPU
W3680 @3.33GHz, 16.0 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Edition
Version 2009, w/SP1
Message 6 of 12
autodesk-MM
in reply to: bobvdd

I have it in 2018pro- I assume nothing has been done to identify why this happens.

"Remove parts , viewreps , posreps , break derived links etc until you no longer see the error." - this one is a great advise hehe.

Better idea- in 2019 release remove iparts and iassy from inventor.

Message 7 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: autodesk-MM

Hi Michal,

If I understood the issue correctly, this is actually a bug. It is possible the source of the bug has been fixed in later releases but the existing files having the badness are not fixed. Do you mind sharing an example exhibiting the behavior?

Regarding iPart and iAssembly, I am not sure why they are not working for you. iParts/iAssemblies are best for creating library content. You can create a family of components using an Excel table. I know some people try to use the workflow for in-context configuration and it does have limitation. But, in general, it is working as it was designed. Could you elaborate your difficulties in iPart/iAssembly?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 12
autodesk-MM
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Ipart/iassy issues elaborated in a different topic. I am only cleaning the mess. This iassy was created by a different user in 2018pro. Consist of parts, content centre parts, iparts and other iassy, so it is not an 'old version bug'.
I already dismanteled this disaster called iassy to normal assemblies. After all those years trying to make iparts work I decided not to struggle with this anymore . Problem solved 100%.
My best advise: do not use iparts and iassy with vault.

Message 9 of 12
mikko.m
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue

This happens to me when I'm updating model (iassembly) in drawing. If I repeat update model it works so it only happens on first try.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Inventor Professional 2019.3
Vault Workgroup 2019.1.1
Message 10 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mikko.m

Hi! I think you are confirming my suspicion. It is like a corruption happening in the past. Now, the corruption is cleared when the file is migrated. If you save the file, the error message should not appear.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 12
a.sellars

Geez! Who comes up with these error descriptions?

My boss thought I was trying to purchase a child online with this one!! 

Message 12 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: a.sellars

Hi! Good point! These error messages are fairly programming oriented. The wording should be culturally aware, which is not in this case. There is definitely room for improvement. I will work with the project team and see what we can do.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report