Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iges vs step

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rclement
500 Views, 8 Replies

iges vs step

was creating a ipn file and tweaking some components. when i chose some hardware i had down downloaded from iges format but saved to ipt . i got a message saying (and not exactly) that i couldnt tweak cause wasnt a solid body. but when i redowloaded but in step wasnt a problem.. why is there a difference in these formats.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: rclement

Both iges (Initial Graphics Exchange Specification) and step (STandard  Exchange of Product data) are considered neutral formats.

The one difference is that step can sometimes include meta data like properties with their files.  That might be whats causing the difference you are seeing.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

or one was just surfaces and the other included solid bodies 

Post the files.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 9
JDMather

With either type - if all the information is there (and often even if it isn't) for creating solid bodies - they can be converted after opening.

This information is now a little out of date

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
rclement
in reply to: mcgyvr

HERE THEY ARE

Message 6 of 9
mcgyvr

@rclement wrote:

HERE THEY ARE

yep.. one is a composite/surface and one has solid bodies..

So read the document posted by JD.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 9
jtylerbc

Nothing scientific about this, but in my experience IGES seems to have more of a tendency to import with surfaces either missing or unstitched than STEP does.  Either of those conditions could cause it to import as a surface model instead of a solid, which would lead to the problem you're seeing in the .ipn file.

It is likely that it would be possible to repair the IGES version by stitching the surface model back into a solid, or finding the missing surface and patching it.  However, either of those is probably going to take longer than just reimporting with a STEP file if one is readily available.

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

One of the parts has true helical threads and the other is a Revolve that sort of looks like thread - but will not work as a threaded part (if your intention is to 3D print these).

The surface body part can easily be converted to Solid in the Construction Environment (or I assume in the Repair Environment as well).

Construction Environment.PNG

If you want to follow the paper I linked earlier you will have to Enable the Construction Environment (Tools>Application Options>Part tab).

You might be able to find a selection of Options when opening that will automatically convert for you rather than going to the Construction or Repair environments.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 9 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: jtylerbc

@jtylerbc wrote:
  However, either of those is probably going to take longer than just reimporting with a STEP file if one is readily available.

Be sure to use file that is actually a thread.

Here is image of the two files that were attached.Threads.PNG

(I made some changes to disguise which one was correct.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report