Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IGES Import problems convert to solid part

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
chrisw01a
2135 Views, 9 Replies

IGES Import problems convert to solid part

Could somebody PLEASE take a look at these two IGES parts and try to convert them to a solid.  I've tried all I can think of with no good result.

I can't get them uploaded, file is too large, what can I do?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
chrisw01a
in reply to: chrisw01a

These are actually .rar files.  You will have to change the extention to .rar and use WinRar to extract.

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

@chrisw01a wrote:

These are actually .rar files.  You will have to change the extention to .rar and use WinRar to extract.

Why are they *.rar files?
Why can't you simply use Windows Explorer to zip the files?

The limit is much larger over here http://www.augi.com

I have no interest in downloading a 3rd party software to extract your files, but perhaps this will help you

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 10
chrisw01a
in reply to: JDMather

Because .rar could get small enought to upload.  I'll look at the other website.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 10
JDMather

Put a link back here to the upload on AUGI as that site doesn't get  as much traffic.

I've got to get back to other work for a while, so hopefully someone will jump in here with solution.

Back to check in a while.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 10
chrisw01a
Message 7 of 10
JDMather

Those look pretty easy to repair - should be able to fix each in a couple of hours using the instructions I referenced earlier (with a bit of changes accounting for the Repair Environment changes from Construction Environment).

There are some missing surfaces that need patched.

Missing Surfaces.PNG

But why do you need as solids?  These look like off-the-shelf Motors.  If you aren't manufacturing - why do you need solids?

Message 8 of 10
kb8fu

"Why do you need as solids?"  Inventor won't allow me to tweak components in an .ipn that aren't solids.  This precludes using models that came in from IGES surface models in an .iam file that will go into an assembly drawing as an .ipn.

Message 9 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: kb8fu

You have replied to an ancient thread.

Are you having trouble converting your imported geomtry to solids?

If so, can you attach the file(s) here so that someone can show you how to Repair the geometry?

If they are too large to attach here, the A360 website is now a good resource.

Message 10 of 10
kb8fu
in reply to: kb8fu

It took several tries but I finally wound up with what acts like a solid and is now tweak-able in the .ipn file. This involved a combination of importing the IGES file into the "repair environment" and selecting the "stitch" check box in the import options.

The help that Inventor returned for "Imported IGES data" is pretty cryptic referring to "308 and 408 structures" which was meaningless for any of us here. I still don't have a clue what that means but muddled through importing the IGES files as solids nonetheless.  This sure beat creating solid models from the ground up for those purchased parts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report