Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IGES import - exactly which IGES entity types (and forms) are supported?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BobDuke123
626 Views, 3 Replies

IGES import - exactly which IGES entity types (and forms) are supported?

Dear all,

I had some success transferring geometries, generated with an advanced math software, to Inventor using IGES files containing Manifold Solid B-Rep Object Entities (Type 186) (see the specification IGES5-3_forDownload-1.pdf). Now I would like to include several Type 186 entities into a single IGES file and form the geometrical unit of these (and them), for which the IGES Boolean Tree Entity (Type 180) seems to exist. I'll do some trial-and-error testing, but it would be very helpful to have a (reliable) list of all IGES entities the Inventor IGES import function does or does not support (like these: Transcendata, MoldflowInsight). Unfortunately I could not find such a list anywhere.

Could someone from Autodesk provide such a list?

Another question: Are the IGES import/export functions of Inventor written by Autodesk (and/)or are third-party libraries used? If the latter, which ones?

Many thanks, Bob

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
BobDuke123
in reply to: BobDuke123

Hello,

Trial-and-error tests showed that Inventor's IGES import filter does not support the Boolean Tree Entity (Type 180) – a pitty. If someone could post a list of all IGES entities the Inventor IGES import filter does or does not support, it would still be very helpful.

Thanks, Bob

Message 3 of 4
-niels-

Welcome to the forum!

I've never really worked at such a level with iges files, so i got curious.

If you open "iges_x64_vc10.dll" in "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\Bin" with wordpad you'll get a lot of gibberish, but somewhere near the end of that text there will be a collection of the things you mentioned.

I will say at once that i have no clue if this is really what you want, since there is a lot of "Boolean Tree Entity" in there, but no mention of "type 180".

Maybe someone with more knowledge of this might pick this up, i'm still curious but don't work with iges enough to invest more time.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 4
jinij

Do you think this tool would help you?

http://cpp.travancoreanalytics.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report