Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iFeatures - Producing a slot

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Ross33
642 Views, 2 Replies

iFeatures - Producing a slot

Hi,

I am trying to produce an iFeature that can be used as a punch/slot within a sheet metal component.

I have had minor success creating basic dimples before (simple revolved features), but this time I require a more detailed feature. I haven't been able to produce this part (see attached) as an iFeature. I believe it is because I have used a loft.

What alternatives are there?   (I feel if I could get a good grasp on the limits of iFeatrues that I could really make my modelling more efficient and versatile).

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: Ross33

I think that geometry can be modeled without Loft, Split, Delete Face or Thicken commands.

Workplane3 is a child of the YZ plane which is going to give you trouble in creating Punch tools.

Your first sketch (for the Punch) should have a sketch center point (and I would name it).

I think there is already a Punch tool (old style, so would need a bit of editing) similar to this at www.cbliss.com

Oh, and one more thing - the first sketch would probably not be fully constrained - I might initially fully constrain to make sure that I didn't forget anything to control, but then remove (probably a Fixed) a constraint.

I would avoid horizontal and vertical constraints.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
Ross33
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the help!

I'll give it a go using your advice and see how it progresses.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report