Contributor
Ross33
Message 1 of 3 (373 Views)
Accepted Solution

iFeatures - Producing a slot

373 Views, 2 Replies
07-23-2012 06:00 PM

Hi,

I am trying to produce an iFeature that can be used as a punch/slot within a sheet metal component.

I have had minor success creating basic dimples before (simple revolved features), but this time I require a more detailed feature. I haven't been able to produce this part (see attached) as an iFeature. I believe it is because I have used a loft.

What alternatives are there?   (I feel if I could get a good grasp on the limits of iFeatrues that I could really make my modelling more efficient and versatile).

Thanks in advance.

I think that geometry can be modeled without Loft, Split, Delete Face or Thicken commands.

Workplane3 is a child of the YZ plane which is going to give you trouble in creating Punch tools.

Your first sketch (for the Punch) should have a sketch center point (and I would name it).

I think there is already a Punch tool (old style, so would need a bit of editing) similar to this at www.cbliss.com

Oh, and one more thing - the first sketch would probably not be fully constrained - I might initially fully constrain to make sure that I didn't forget anything to control, but then remove (probably a Fixed) a constraint.

I would avoid horizontal and vertical constraints.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 3 (344 Views)

Re: iFeatures - Producing a slot

07-24-2012 11:50 AM in reply to: Ross33

I think that geometry can be modeled without Loft, Split, Delete Face or Thicken commands.

Workplane3 is a child of the YZ plane which is going to give you trouble in creating Punch tools.

Your first sketch (for the Punch) should have a sketch center point (and I would name it).

I think there is already a Punch tool (old style, so would need a bit of editing) similar to this at www.cbliss.com

Oh, and one more thing - the first sketch would probably not be fully constrained - I might initially fully constrain to make sure that I didn't forget anything to control, but then remove (probably a Fixed) a constraint.

I would avoid horizontal and vertical constraints.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
Ross33
Message 3 of 3 (331 Views)

Re: iFeatures - Producing a slot

07-24-2012 03:54 PM in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the help!

I'll give it a go using your advice and see how it progresses.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.