Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iFeature creation help

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rmerlob
808 Views, 8 Replies

iFeature creation help

Hi all,

I'm trying to create an iFeature from part ''NES'', that I can place on parts that will have a Sketch similar to Sketch2 to on part ''Example'', what I want is to just click the points and have it place the iFeature perpendicular to the sketch plane, centered on the point.

Ideally this will then evolve to let the user select from a list of available dimensions from a table.

It is going to be used to place standard risers (and their corresponding riser sleeves) on top of castings.

Thanks for any help.

RM

Edit: I did try fooling around with it but I cant get the placement parameters to work the way I want them to.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: rmerlob

I would "cheat" and create the feature as a Punch tool.

This would also require you to toggle the part between Sheet Metal and Standard.

By doing it as a Punch tool - you don't even have to select the points - Inventor will place the Punch feature just like you were placing a Hole feature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
rmerlob
in reply to: JDMather

thanks JD, I still need help doing the punch tool because as I'm trying I get the message in the attachment.

I tried doing what it says but I must be missing something.

Message 4 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! The error message indicates that the extracted IDE file is a regular iFeature file without a sketch center. To correct that, make sure the feature source part file contains a consumable sketch with a sketch center in it. Then extract the features as iFeature (make sure Punchtool option is selected). After that, it should be a Punchtool IDE. If it still does not work, please let me know.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9
rmerlob
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Okay, I got it working but I have 2 problems.

1) Since my feature is made from a revolution it comes up pointing the wrong direction (see attached), but the punch tool is exactly what I need.

I could construct it from many extrusions, but I can´t get any iFeature made from multiple Features to work the same way this one does (automatically place them in the center points)

2) On the actual part, it says I can't turn the part to a sheet metal part because a feature has created multiple solid bodies, what is up with that? Multi-solid body modeling has become a part of my workflow and I don't think I can give it up now.

Can anyone think of a workaround?

Regards,

RM

Message 6 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you send me the ide file and the Punchtool source part file? I would like to take a look and understand where the problem is.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9
rmerlob

Sure, thanks for the help.

Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! To create a good source part to be ready for iFeature extraction, it requires a bit planning. You need to establish linear feature dependency. In the original file you attached, the revolve feature is totally independent of the point sketch. I have successfully created the source feature part and the iFeature capable of being inserted t oa sketch point and a sketch plane.

Actually, Copy&Paste features works fairly similarly to iFeature Extract/Insert workflow. You can use Copy&Paste as an experimenting tool to find the problem with the source features. Please take a look and let me know if you have any question.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
rmerlob

Thanks!!!, it works with iFeature not punch tool though this has the advantage that it will work with any part, even with multi-solids because I don´t have to turn it into a sheet metal part.

Only down side is that i have to manually place the iFeature on each point, in my application is not a big deal though.

Regards,

RM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report