Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW to DWG shifting text

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mslosar
369 Views, 4 Replies

IDW to DWG shifting text

I'm using 2013 with all the latest updates.

This is what we're seeing, on exporting drawings to dwg, nearly all title block text is shifted from it's constrained position.

Case in point. There are like 10 lines for customer information. One line will look like the following:

JOBSITE: MIAMI, FL

In that example, JOBSITE is a single text object with bottom left justification. MIAMI, FL is a single text object as well that is a linked custom field with bottom left justification.

Both of these are contrained to construction lines in the title block. I've locked the text's insertion point to the intersection of lines, and to a point. In inventor, it works great. In editing the title block these things do not budge at all. They're locked up tight.

Problem is when exporting to autocad, the JOBSITE text will shift down and the MIAMI, FL text will shift up.

I thought maybe the contraints were off, but not that I can see. I removed all contraints and floated them and the same thing happened. Seems to happen no matter what we do. I turned the construction lines visible to see if they had issues and they hold their place fine. The text still shifts. The only text that seems to hold its spot are the pieces of text that are top middle justified.

There is ONE WAY to get the text to hold it's place. Export the file to a 2013 Inventor DWG file. That holds the text in the correct place. However, we need these files in normal 2010 format for a client. Saving these from autocad 2013 to 2010 works fine. However, it's more than 2x the work.

Am I missing something here or is this a known bug and that bottom left justification doesn't work via export?

I've seen a couple old posts talking about multiple text types/sizes in one object but this isn't the case, every bit of text in the title block is a separate entitiy and a singular height and style.

And on a related issue, it's be nice if Inventor knew that things like commas and slashes and whatnot are permitted to go below the bottom justication lines and not force all the text up but that's a separate issue.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mslosar
in reply to: mslosar

Nothing??
Message 3 of 5
stephengibson76

what font are you using? Inventor uses truetype fonts and autocad .shx, so there will be a difference when switching between programs. ariel or calibri look prety similar as TT and SHX

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 4 of 5
Cadmanto

A couple of thoughts.  Instead of constraining them to construction lines have you tried just dimensioning to them?

I just wonder if that gives you any different results.

The other thing is have you tried exporting them out as dxf files.  I realize that in theory you are not doing anything wrong and nothing that shouldn't be able to be done, but again, just curious.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 5
mslosar
in reply to: Cadmanto

I've dimensioned to their points, used contruction lines, interesections, floated in space, etc.

Still shift.

Also, AutoCAD uses TTF and SHX. In inventor i'm using a TTF font and the same TTF font in AutoCAD.

The fact that inventor shifts text up for stuff like comma's is annoying as well.

Still - i've gotten most of it across.

I made a template file (which didn't seem to do anything) but using the export and choosing either Sheet Scale - Model Space or Full Scale (1:1) - Model Space in the Data Scaling/export options seems to be getting about 95% of it. Not a perfect solution, but much better than where I started off.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report