Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idw save as dwg changes dimensions Inventor Pro 2012

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
david.matsalla
926 Views, 8 Replies

Idw save as dwg changes dimensions Inventor Pro 2012

Every time I take an assembly and make an idw, I also need to do a save copy as dwg.  However when I do so, the dimensions of my assembly have changed.  Any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jletcher
in reply to: david.matsalla

What do you mean change? The assembly changes size? The dimensions change and numbers are not right?

Need more impute please.. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
david.matsalla
in reply to: jletcher

As an example, I will measure the height and place a dimension in Inventor.  It shows 93".  When I open the dwg file the dimension still shows 93", but when I re-measure the line, it is now 83"

This is not a scaling issue as it seems only certain values have changed, while others have stayed the same.

BTW, the idw is originally created from ETO if that makes difference.

Message 4 of 9
jletcher

It can be a scale issue...

What settings did you use when you exported it to autocad?

Message 5 of 9
david.matsalla

I am using all of the deafult settings, saving it as AutoCAD 2010.

Message 6 of 9
jletcher

I mean in this area here if you did not pick the right option it will scale in autocad..

Options.JPG

Message 7 of 9
david.matsalla

Yes the right scale was picked.

Here is the interesting thing.  If I use the idw creayed by ETO, the drawing seems to be scaled.  If I create a new idw and save that one as a dwg, it works perfectly.

So for now, issue solved.

Message 8 of 9
m.granata

I have had this issue.  And it's caused by what others have mentioned in this message.  When you save-as dwg in Inventor, some of the settings will scale the Inventor model to the idw view scale during the export to dwg.  If you select model 1:1 setting Inventor it won't do this.  However, the dwg will contain only the model and no dimensions/annotations/notes, etc.

Bottom line, Inventor doesn't export a "correct" AutoCAD dwg drawing.  Regardless of the settings you select in Inventor during the export you will have to spend time in AutoCAD to clean it up otherwise it looks like you have no clue how to use AutoCAD.  I use Inventor Product Design Suite Premium 2013 and it still acts as you are experiencing.  I hope Autodesk will improve this feature as I also get clients occasionally requesting a dwg file.

Message 9 of 9
dodell

I think your having this issue because you have multiple views with different scales on the same IDW.  The DWG will read the first inserted view's scale and that will be the only one that will dimension correctly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report