Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

dmatsalla
Message 1 of 9 (389 Views)
Accepted Solution

Idw save as dwg changes dimensions Inventor Pro 2012

389 Views, 8 Replies
09-12-2012 01:43 PM

Every time I take an assembly and make an idw, I also need to do a save copy as dwg.  However when I do so, the dimensions of my assembly have changed.  Any thoughts?

I have had this issue.  And it's caused by what others have mentioned in this message.  When you save-as dwg in Inventor, some of the settings will scale the Inventor model to the idw view scale during the export to dwg.  If you select model 1:1 setting Inventor it won't do this.  However, the dwg will contain only the model and no dimensions/annotations/notes, etc.

Bottom line, Inventor doesn't export a "correct" AutoCAD dwg drawing.  Regardless of the settings you select in Inventor during the export you will have to spend time in AutoCAD to clean it up otherwise it looks like you have no clue how to use AutoCAD.  I use Inventor Product Design Suite Premium 2013 and it still acts as you are experiencing.  I hope Autodesk will improve this feature as I also get clients occasionally requesting a dwg file.

*Pro
jletcher
Message 2 of 9 (386 Views)

Re: Idw save as dwg changes dimensions Inventor Pro 2012

09-12-2012 01:57 PM in reply to: dmatsalla

What do you mean change? The assembly changes size? The dimensions change and numbers are not right?

Need more impute please.. :smileyhappy:

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
dmatsalla
Message 3 of 9 (382 Views)

09-12-2012 02:17 PM in reply to: jletcher

As an example, I will measure the height and place a dimension in Inventor.  It shows 93".  When I open the dwg file the dimension still shows 93", but when I re-measure the line, it is now 83"

This is not a scaling issue as it seems only certain values have changed, while others have stayed the same.

BTW, the idw is originally created from ETO if that makes difference.

*Pro
jletcher
Message 4 of 9 (364 Views)

09-13-2012 05:02 AM in reply to: dmatsalla

It can be a scale issue...

What settings did you use when you exported it to autocad?

James Letcher
dmatsalla
Message 5 of 9 (360 Views)

09-13-2012 07:07 AM in reply to: jletcher

I am using all of the deafult settings, saving it as AutoCAD 2010.

*Pro
jletcher
Message 6 of 9 (356 Views)

09-13-2012 07:51 AM in reply to: dmatsalla

I mean in this area here if you did not pick the right option it will scale in autocad..

Options.JPG

James Letcher
dmatsalla
Message 7 of 9 (352 Views)

09-13-2012 08:08 AM in reply to: jletcher

Yes the right scale was picked.

Here is the interesting thing.  If I use the idw creayed by ETO, the drawing seems to be scaled.  If I create a new idw and save that one as a dwg, it works perfectly.

So for now, issue solved.

Distinguished Contributor
m.granata
Message 8 of 9 (351 Views)

09-13-2012 08:13 AM in reply to: dmatsalla

I have had this issue.  And it's caused by what others have mentioned in this message.  When you save-as dwg in Inventor, some of the settings will scale the Inventor model to the idw view scale during the export to dwg.  If you select model 1:1 setting Inventor it won't do this.  However, the dwg will contain only the model and no dimensions/annotations/notes, etc.

Bottom line, Inventor doesn't export a "correct" AutoCAD dwg drawing.  Regardless of the settings you select in Inventor during the export you will have to spend time in AutoCAD to clean it up otherwise it looks like you have no clue how to use AutoCAD.  I use Inventor Product Design Suite Premium 2013 and it still acts as you are experiencing.  I hope Autodesk will improve this feature as I also get clients occasionally requesting a dwg file.

dodell
Message 9 of 9 (41 Views)

09-04-2014 05:34 AM in reply to: dmatsalla

I think your having this issue because you have multiple views with different scales on the same IDW.  The DWG will read the first inserted view's scale and that will be the only one that will dimension correctly.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.