Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

idw part of assembly becoming transparent.

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
dy938811
2394 Views, 20 Replies

idw part of assembly becoming transparent.

Hello AD Community!

Thank you in advance for even taking the time to read this post.

I have some issues with Inventor 2014 that I am hoping some guru can aide me with solving?

I am creating a two color (black & white) .idw drawing from from a simple 3 peice assembly and when I try to print (or print prieview) the sheet (standard 8.5x11 format), a piece (#2 on attached drawing) of the assembly becomes transparent or disdappears unless I choose the drawing to be "shaded" instead of "without hidden lines", except for the section view at the bottom of page).

I cannot get Inventor to 3DS max Suite Workflow to do work.  I get the message

"AdWorkflowHost is unknown. Please check your synhub configfile".

Again, thank you.

D

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
mdavis22569
in reply to: dy938811

Can you attach the iam/ipt's too?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 21
Cadmanto

I can't help you with #2, but #1, did you create this model or is it imported.  Is the model made up of solid features or surfaces?

Also, I see you attached the drawing.  What about the associated model that goes with that drawing.

One is not good without the other. Smiley Happy

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 21
mdavis22569

it looks to be surface from the view ..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 21
dy938811

Thank you for taking a look!

michaeldavis, I have attached the .iam/.ipt.

Cadmanto, I created this file in Inventor.  I used the Sweep command to create the simple part that disappears.

I have gone thru setting several times and cannot find a solution.

Hope you all had a great weekend.

Message 6 of 21
blair

It shows up on my system, you don't have any constraints in your IAM for to properly position your mesh IPT files. The first part is not grounded either. I didn't bother to go into detail and look at your IPT but your Sketch1 is not grounded, this will cause problems down the road.

You should download these:

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2007/MA105-1L%20Mather.pdf

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Untitled.jpg

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 21
dy938811
in reply to: blair

blair,
Thank you. I will go back and see if Grounding a part makes it better.

From the drawing in your post, the part is not showing up. There is a frame that surrounds the mesh grid, and that is the part i am not seeing in my drawings either .

I will ground it, and thanks for the material/links.

D

Message 8 of 21
blair

The only items in the IAM file were the mesh IPT. Just the two parts, so possibly that is the reason the frame is not showing up. As you only posted the IAM file and the mesh IPT. If you look at the picture I attached, it only shows the 18-1-1inch grid 1-16 welded, instances 1 and 2 of the mesh part. There is no frame.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 21
Cadmanto

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.  Maybe you have already figured out this issue, but I opened up your parts and they look fine.

grid.jpg

Not sure if it a display setting or maybe the way you have your material/color properties setup.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 10 of 21
dy938811

So, here is where I am now, and thanks again.

First image attachment shows a base view after Right-Click preparing to select OK to finish placing base view.

1 Choose OK.png

2 Second attachment image shows the same base view after selecting OK to finish placing, and the frame is now gone.

3 Clicked OK = No Frame.png

3 Final image shows the assembly as it appears in my view window as a part, with the frame that I have now grounded.

Shadded Style Button.png

As soon as I click OK to place the view, the frame disappears, unless I chose the Shaded stye from the properties window in the final image.

I don't understand what i am doing wrong.  I'm sure it's simple though...

Message 11 of 21
blair

Looks like your frame is a Surface, you can change the option in the Edit-View and include surfaces. I would go back to the model and see what you have done. You could have used the Surface option when you did the frame. The problem with this is that your weights/mass will be out as it will have a zero mass.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 21
dy938811

blair,

Hello!  I will change the option in the Edit-View and include surfaces if this is not selected.

When I made the frame I ised the sweep command.

Message 13 of 21
dy938811

Hi blair,

Forgive me, but i do not and could not find what you refer to "Show Surfaces".  Could you tell me where to find that option?

I took a shot of the dropdowns open in the explorer in hopes that you could explain where I should Right-Click?

Surface.png

Also, does the fact that VISIBILITY in the Right-Click menu is greyed out hae any bearing on my problem?

greyed outd.png

Message 14 of 21
blair

Expand the Model in the Browser windown, RMB on the part and select "Include All Surfaces"

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 21
dy938811

blair,

Thanks for the swift response.

I found that said option is already checked.  Any other suggestions?  I've created essentially the same assembly but with round, and rectangular frames and they look fine.

surfaces shown.png

Message 16 of 21
dy938811

More...

surface vis.png

Message 17 of 21
blair

Why are you modeling so much stuff as surface model? The whole idea of 3D parametric is to create solid models. Mass and CoG are incorrect with Surface Models.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 21
dy938811

Hi blair,

My post 03-14-2014 03:31 PM (2 images back) you can see edges of where the frame should appear in the drawing (very thin lines at corners of frame) but no frame.

As you can see, the surface option was/is selected and still doesn't show the frame in a drawing. Back to the drawing board I guess... It's not a difficult part to draw, just very frustrating when I have redone it numerous times to no avail.

I don't know how I used Surface for parts. I am not sure where I would choose to make a surface or solid, because I don't believe I ever selected to make a surface part or a solid part.

Where would I find such an option to make a solid?

What I have done is I sketched each part, constrained about origin, and chose a material and color, but did not specify any to be a surface.

I am self-taught and obviously I din't do so well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 19 of 21
blair

When you are doing the Extrusion function, you have the choice to create a solid or a surface: the Blue arrow creates a Solid and the Red Arrow creates a Surface.Capture1.JPG

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 20 of 21
dy938811

blair,

Thanks again!  

My issues sound so simple but are very confusing to me.  

Even more interesting is that I have created drawings of two other assemblies with a round and an arced, square frame that looks fine after saving.  The square frame is the last of the set of drawings I need and it is giving me the most headache.

I mentioned in an earlier post that the Right-Click option to "show all surfaces" was set to ON.

I am aware of the options you illustrated in your last post, and I am almost positive I left the choice defaulted, which was/is to SOLID, when I created the sweep for the frame part.  I was having problems aligning the grid part to the frame part in the assembly from which the drawings are created, so I switched from EXTRUDE to SWEEP in order to use the center axis/path of my SWEEP as the alignment for constraining the grid to the frame.

I am going to try to redraw after getting some schoolwork done and I will be sure to select SOLID as the option when doing the extrusion or sweep, and post the results.

I already redrew once this morning and upon SAVE AS/SAVE, the frame disappeared from all three views I had placed., but am unsure if the SOLID or SURFACE choice was selected because this post was not up yet.

I believe that because I am doing an EXTRUSION or SWEEP (and have used the profile to extrude or sweep), I would not need to use the surface option as the extrusion or sweep becomes the surface of the solid, inside and out, including each end/side.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report