Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW drawings taking a long time to open

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anthony
1703 Views, 2 Replies

IDW drawings taking a long time to open

A few of my design drawings are taking a long time to open from cold. They are not particularly complex drawings and all the files / assembly etc. that are referenced on them are correctly stored and are not corrupt or 'sick'. Why are these drawings taking so long to open ? Any ideas on how to rectify this are greatly appreciated, waiting for them is slowing me down considerably. 

Inventor 2013 SP2 64-bit edition

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013

64-bit HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz

12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sam_m
in reply to: Anthony

quite a vague problem and thus could be any number of things...  the usual culprits are:

1) network - poor network speed/server overheads slowing things down.  try at quiet times of the day or one evening after normal working hours to compare.

2) anti-virus live scan - make sure to remove all Inventor files from the live scan (idw, iam, ipt, etc).  If all files are going through the anti-virus it can slow down the loading times a lot, especially for assemblies...

3) plugins - if you have lots of plugins/extras it can take longer to load, where an SSD (or a recent defrag) should help

4) template/design data migration - think I've seen it slowing down if it's pointing to old template files, make sure they're all migrated to the latest release you're working with.

5) background processes - how much crap is running on the pc in the background?  the more stuff is running the more overhead on the pc...  kill everything to see if it helps (email, anti-virus, music player, etc.).  Are there any updates/scans/defrags going on in the background?  they will slow the system down too.

6) memory paging out - check you're not maxing out your ram (shouldn't with 12GB) but worth using memprobe.exe (in Inventor's \Bin subdirectory) to see if it's needing to page out (and thus slow down) much.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 3
Anthony
in reply to: sam_m

Hi there, thank you very much for the helpful commnets, I have tired some of the suggestions however I'm not sure about the memory paging ? Could you please explain this ? Thanks again

1) network - poor network speed/server overheads slowing things down.  try at quiet times of the day or one evening after normal working hours to compare.I will try after working hours to see if this improves load speed

2) anti-virus live scan - make sure to remove all Inventor files from the live scan (idw, iam, ipt, etc).  If all files are going through the anti-virus it can slow down the loading times a lot, especially for assemblies... I will contact IT to arrange this

3) plugins - if you have lots of plugins/extras it can take longer to load, where an SSD (or a recent defrag) should help I don't think I have a lot of plugins loaded, some are unloaded that I do not use so I will remove

4) template/design data migration - think I've seen it slowing down if it's pointing to old template files, make sure they're all migrated to the latest release you're working with. I am using the latest template files

5) background processes - how much crap is running on the pc in the background?  the more stuff is running the more overhead on the pc...  kill everything to see if it helps (email, anti-virus, music player, etc.).  Are there any updates/scans/defrags going on in the background?  they will slow the system down too. I only have a copy of AutoCAD running in the background, I don't have anything else running in the background that I can see

6) memory paging out - check you're not maxing out your ram (shouldn't with 12GB) but worth using memprobe.exe (in Inventor's \Bin subdirectory) to see if it's needing to page out (and thus slow down) much. I am not sure what you are referring to here, how to I check that the memory isn't maxing out ?

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report