Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW Balloon Formatting - Want to number the Qtys in the Balloons - Properties

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
VeronicaSmith5891
1395 Views, 7 Replies

IDW Balloon Formatting - Want to number the Qtys in the Balloons - Properties

I have populted the Parts List for the small assembly that I have.  I need to label each part with an Item and Qty.  But I need the qtys listed as each number.  (i.e. - if Item number 8 has qty. 2 I need one ballon to be 8/1 and the other to be 8/2.  (see attached jpg (What I Want Qty.jpg).  I have gone into the Edit Ballon Style and changed it to the Circular - 2 Entries so I can have the Item number on the top and the qty on the bottom.  But I have tried every single Qty in the Available Properties and none of them will do what I need.  Please see attached for the various ones I have tried.  (It will only let me attach 3 files). The one called "Base Qty.jpg" is what happens with both Base Qty. as well as Unit Qty.  The one labeled "Item Qty.jpg" is what happens when I use both Item Qty. as well as Qty.  None of the choices available do what I need which is labeled as "What I Want Qty.jpg".  Does anyone know of a setting that I may be missing or an add-in to do this?  Our customer is the one requiring it.  We can put these in manually with a sketched symbol but then the balloons will not be linked to the Parts List.  I did search all thru these forum for almost 2 hours before posting this. I am using 2014 Inventor Proffesional. 

Thanks!

Veronica

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: VeronicaSmith5891

no possible "automatically" that I know..

Its kind of a silly customer request IMO.. Not sure of the point besides just additional busy work.. 

Maybe possible with ilogic code but I don't know.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
chad38

I feel for you, however this is whack. In the event there are many parts involved these quantities would do you no good whatsoever. I mean, they basically want the balloons to go through and count themselves off like "Hi, I'm number 3!"

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 4 of 8
harco

I posted something a while back that may give you what you want but as mcgyvr points out it's definitely not automatic. It's a workaround and a bit of a pig too, I haven't even tried it since I posted but it did work back then. see this link http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Balloon-quanity-question/td-p/2590146 The second page has a bit of emphasis on the method where it's possible to go wrong. Other folk posted some easier methods in that thread also. Hope this helps a bit. Customers eh! wouldn't we get on a lot better without them!
Message 5 of 8

This is not possible with out of box install as others have commented on this. You can submit this request here to be considered for future release, http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

or post it to the ideas station.

Regards,

Don

Message 6 of 8

Thanks Don.  I sent it in for a suggestion.

Message 7 of 8
mcgyvr

Veronica,

Whats the intent of this functionality? 

or what benefit does it provide your customer? 

I just can't see any point in that functionality at all other than maybe the order in which those parts are installed? Thats the only thing I can think of...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 8
VeronicaSmith5891
in reply to: mcgyvr

We make separate spool drawings for each section so we label each item with its own qty number 1, 2, 3 etc.  We also use the same spool drawing to make our weld map and you have to have different identifiers.  If you have 3 flanges that are all Item 8 and the weld map has 3 different welds for all 3 we have to let them know which goes to which.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report