Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDCL vs. ADMS

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Uwe_Lindner
919 Views, 8 Replies

IDCL vs. ADMS

Welche Unterschiede gibt es für den Einsatz von IDCL Dateien gegenüber dem ADMS Server?

Wo wende ich besser IDCL Dateien an und wo setze ich besser den ADMS Server ein?

Gibt es bekannte Unterschiede in der Performance / Anzahl der User ?

Es muß ja irgend einen Grund geben warum es 2 verschiedene Möglichkeiten der Normteildatenbank gibt.

Welchen???

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: Uwe_Lindner

The ADMS version is intended to be shared by more than one user, the IDCL is only used on the computer where it is installed.  As far as I know, the IDCL cannot be shared.  Anyone else?

Message 3 of 9
Uwe_Lindner
in reply to: SBix26

Hallo Sam B,

IDCL lokal auf 1 Arbeitsplatz = o.k.

IDCL funktioniert aber auch zentral auf einem Server wenn mehrere User zugreifen.

Ebenso kann man den ADMS lokal auf demPC installieren und problemlos arbeiten.

Gibt es Einschränkungen bei der Anzahl User oder Performance oder andere beim Einsatz von IDCL?

Aus den offiziellen Dokumenten (Hilfedateien / FAQ) von Autodesk ist mir nichts bekannt.

Danke

Uwe Lindner

Message 4 of 9
Dennis_Jeffrey

Sam,

You are correct. Desktop content is limited for use on one system and cannot be shared.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Dennis,

Here is Google's translation of Uwe's response to me:

Hi Sam B

IDCL locally on a workstation = o.k.

IDCL also works on a central server when accessed by multiple users.

Similarly, you can install the ADMS locally on the PC and easily work.

Are there restrictions on the number of users or performance or the use of other IDCL?

From the official documents (Help files / FAQ) Autodesk me nothing is known.

Message 6 of 9
Loren_J

When you select the Desktop Content application option, you scan specify the file location. The default is on your C: drive, but you should be able to select a network location.

They added the IDCL files so that you wouldn't have to install ADMS on every workstation if you weren't using Vault. The issue with using IDCL files locally is that you have to manually update the file on every computer if you make a change. Using one file in a network location resolves the syncing issue, but I don't know if the performance is worse for multiple users.

I strongly believe in using Vault or some other file revision management system. If you use Vault, you have revision control as well as a single library location. Since base Vault is included in Inventor, it is well worth the effort to install it on your server if you don't have a data management system.

LorenJ

Inventor 2011 Pro
Win7 64 SP1
Xeon W3550 @3.07 GHz
ATI FirePro V5700, 8.773.0.0
12 GB RAM
Message 7 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: Loren_J

We aren't using Vault for data management, but we do have ADMS installed on a server to serve Content Libraries.  Since that's how we started many years ago before IDCL existed, that's how we've always done it.  I suppose that IDCL on a server would be simpler to maintain?  But, like you, I have no idea how well it would work for multiple users.

Message 8 of 9
Uwe_Lindner
Message 9 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: Uwe_Lindner

Thanks very much for those links.  For my situation, I think that I will start using the Desktop content from our server.  The security is already managed by the server, so there will be much less Vault management for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report