Message 1 of 19 (700 Views)
Accepted Solution

iCopy position problem

700 Views, 18 Replies
09-10-2012 02:20 PM

hi, i'm trying to make some panel using iCopy

i've see this video on youTube  http://youtu.be/uRR4xsev8SU

i've follow the technique to build my panel

in the exemple i'm posting i did'nt use the icopy with the frame generator as it shows in this video

when the layout i use to place my panel is on the xy plan it works fine but if i want to insert it on another plane the panel is all wrong or it doesnt show at all..

i want to know what i'm doing wrong or at least how to make this work...

i work in the curtain wall buisness and i want to use to icopy tool to make my glass and aluminium panel..

can someone give me a little help with that...

i'm joinning with this message a pack and go,

Product Design Suite 2013

Hi Mike,

I cannot access Youtube, but based on your model, I’d suggest another way to achieve the requirement. Please check attached dataset to get the idea. The iCopy Template is located under “.\iCopyTest\iCopy_Template”. In this case, I directly use the points in sketch, but not workpoints, which may easier to understand.

Anyway, please post any follow-up questions if you have. And here are some tips for building an iCopy Template:

• iCopy Template is the key assembly, which contains at least an adaptive layout part. You need align origin between the layout part (remove the grounded status if exists) and the top assembly.
  • The layout part should contain an adaptive sketch, and other features/work geometries/sketches are based on this adaptive sketch. During creating the adaptive sketch, you need consider which geometries will be driven by adaptive, and add necessary constraints and dimension. Note: Do not add driving dimension if the dimension may change by adaptive.
  • You can carry out parameters into iCopy definition for better controls of flexibility.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Employee
NicolasXu
Message 2 of 19 (683 Views)

Re: iCopy position problem

09-11-2012 03:15 AM in reply to: Mike686

Hi Mike686,

I took a quick look for the test dataset. One of the possible cause is that the base sketch is created on XY plane, so it will always be landing on XY plane in other iCopy instances. That means the sketch will turn to a line if inserting iCopy on YZ plane.

You may try create a work plane through the 3 work points, and then create the Sketch on the workplane.

Not sure if you have went through the tutorials, but it's worth to take a look:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0126-Tutorial126/0127-Inventor127/0490-Use_iCop4...

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0126-Tutorial126/0127-Inventor127/0481-iCopy%3a_...

Thanks,

Nicolas

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Active Contributor
gboshko
Message 3 of 19 (617 Views)

10-18-2012 05:37 AM in reply to: NicolasXu

HI MIKE,

I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. WERE YOU ABLE TO RESOLVE?

GEORGE

Valued Contributor
Mike686
Message 4 of 19 (595 Views)

10-22-2012 05:03 PM in reply to: gboshko

no, i'm still stuck..i've found another tutorial on augi but when i try to make my own the same plan problem keeps comming back

its really frustrating cuz they make it look so easy in the tutorial...

my bet is there something that i dont set adapatative or vice versa

if you solve the problem please let me know

i'll do the same

Active Contributor
gboshko
Message 5 of 19 (574 Views)

10-23-2012 03:55 PM in reply to: Mike686

Hi mike,

Somebody from Augi got back to me. I’ll be uploading a data set at your post tomorrow for him to look at. Hopefully we will have an answer shortly.

Regards,

George

Employee
NicolasXu
Message 6 of 19 (560 Views)

10-24-2012 12:15 AM in reply to: gboshko

Hi Mike,

I cannot access Youtube, but based on your model, I’d suggest another way to achieve the requirement. Please check attached dataset to get the idea. The iCopy Template is located under “.\iCopyTest\iCopy_Template”. In this case, I directly use the points in sketch, but not workpoints, which may easier to understand.

Anyway, please post any follow-up questions if you have. And here are some tips for building an iCopy Template:

• iCopy Template is the key assembly, which contains at least an adaptive layout part. You need align origin between the layout part (remove the grounded status if exists) and the top assembly.
  • The layout part should contain an adaptive sketch, and other features/work geometries/sketches are based on this adaptive sketch. During creating the adaptive sketch, you need consider which geometries will be driven by adaptive, and add necessary constraints and dimension. Note: Do not add driving dimension if the dimension may change by adaptive.
  • You can carry out parameters into iCopy definition for better controls of flexibility.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Active Contributor
gboshko
Message 7 of 19 (550 Views)

10-24-2012 05:17 AM in reply to: Mike686

Thank you Nicolas,

I have been grounding my parts and using line geometry instead of points.

I will give your method a try.

Appreciate,

George.

Active Contributor
gboshko
Message 8 of 19 (536 Views)

10-24-2012 03:33 PM in reply to: Mike686

Nicolas,

Problem solved!

Your dataset really helped me out.

In my layout sketch I had one corner constrained to the origin. This is not correct if the intent is to use the i-copy on other work planes.

Thanks again.

Valued Contributor
Mike686
Message 9 of 19 (522 Views)

10-25-2012 07:11 AM in reply to: NicolasXu

Nicolas thanks for the reponse, i will try it

and see if everything work for me

Valued Contributor
Mike686
Message 10 of 19 (497 Views)

10-29-2012 11:02 AM in reply to: Mike686

hi Nicolas, i've use the tips you gave me and it solve a lot of problem

i still have one problem i can seem to correct..

i'm posting the layout part and the assembly

the problem is with the body i did with the sweep command

when insert it with icopy everything work fine

but when i change a dimension in the target assembly, i lost the body (solid 4) in my icopy

the other solid bodies are ok

can you check it out and see if you can find what i've done wrong??

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.