Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iCopy feature pattern

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
733 Views, 2 Replies

iCopy feature pattern

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to use the "Feature Pattern" of iCopy in Inventor 2015. Ive looked at Rob Cohee's video when it was a technology preview, and Ive looked at EVERY tutorial I can find on the net, but they all seem to be based on a previous version of iCopy.

The differences I can see is that previously, iCopy placed a copy of the template assembly into the target assembly, now it inserts the template assembly into an iCopy container in the target assembly, and for some reason that container can not be patterned.

My only conclusion is that this ability has been included directly into the iCopy functionality on the Feature Pattern tab.

My problem is similar to the users in this post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/icopy-position-problem/m-p/3613686#M44750...

Except, I often have to include multiples of the exact same panel.

I have tried the feature patern, but in this dialog:

Dialog

It wont let me choose any geometry to attach to. Does anybody have experience with this tool feature?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Ive read my post and I realize there is aneasier way to ask this question.

Here is what I have done already:

I already have a working iCopy Template assembly that I can successfully insert into a target assembly using iCopy.

It sizes itself accordingly and everything is good.

Here is what I need:

We manufacture panel type wall partition systems, and often have a run of panels numbering 20 or more. They are all based on the same except for their dimensions. Sometimes we have a run of 20 of the same size panel, and then 2 odd sizes at each end. I could insert all 22 panels individually ( That would get old fast)  What I want to do is insert the 20 with one function and then the end 2 on their own.

What I think:

As I said in my origional post, I have watched many youtube videos, including this one by Rob Cohee when iCopy was a technology preview. I have tried the steps he shows, but it doesnt work. There are subtle differences in Inventor 2015 and teh version he is using, but I am esentially trying to do the same thing he is.

What I dont have:

I dont usually get a large model that indludes reference geometry. What I get is a napkin sketch of what the client wants from the sales people. So our product is modelled on its own.

What I am asking:

I know this has been long winded to this point but I hope I have given all the relevant info.

I need to know, how to insert multiple copies of a panel, in a single operation. What do I need know in terms of the iCopy tool for inventor 2015, and what do I need in my target assembly skeleton?

I have been banging my head on this for a week now, so ANY suggestions are welcome.

Rob

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Rob,

I hope I understood what you are asking for:

The pattern of the iCopy element is made in the very same window you pasted in the first post. There are three tabs:

1) Single copy - in this tab you declare features (point, lines etc.) to insert your icopy. As you say you use the iCopy as a single instance, I understand this one works good.

2) Path pattern - in this tab you can create the pattern in a way simmilar to the typical Inventor pattern. For each and every feature of insertion (the same features as in the previous tab) you have to declare a rail (most usually a sketch curve) which will lead the position of this feature for all the instances in the pattern. Then you have to designate a single path, along which offset will be calculated, and give the item number and the offset value. This procedure is described in the Inventor help

3) Feature pattern - to use this one you have to have: a feature - for example a point (not a sketch point! It has to be a point created in part enviroment, not in a sketch) and pattern it like every other feature (hole, extrusion etc.). This can be done in a skeleton file in your target assembly. This pattern designates the same points you used to insert a single iCopy instance, only for a whole pattern of them, for a whole pattern of instances. Then you have to choose these patterns in the exactly same place the screenshot of which you pasted in your first post. You have to have such a pattern for every of the points/features you use for insertion (features from tab 1 above). 

I am using Inventor 2013 SP2, but icopy works for me in the same way as you described.

Hope it helps,

Daeral

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report