Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iAssembly Change Component

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mikebelter
262 Views, 5 Replies

iAssembly Change Component

O.K. so I haven't used iAssemblies much and that was a while ago. I created a simple iAssembly and inserted it into another assembly. I cannot change component since it is asking to save to the library, and of course that won't happen. Proxy file is set up in project. Do I have to generate members and insert individual components now? Using Inventor 2009.

Thanks,
Mike
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: mikebelter

generate members with the project for the iAssembly. This should allow you to generate the members. Then when you use them in other assemblies, the iAssembly members will already be created so it should insert fine.
Message 3 of 6
mikebelter

Josh:

So then the iAssembly members are inserted into the main assembly file, not the iAssembly Factory? Is it an issue that the iAssembly factory I have created resides in a library compared to the Assembly in which I am trying to insert the iAssembly factory?

Thanks,
Mike
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

when you try to insert an iAssembly factory, it should open the iAssembly table and allow you to select the specific member. If the member does not yet exist (i.e. it appears in the table, but the member hasn't been generated), then the iAssembly will attempt to generate the needed member. I believe this is your problem: the member doesn't exist, so the iAssembly tries to create it, but the iAssembly is in a library so it isn't allowed.

Open the iAssembly, expand the members under the table, RMB on the member you want and Generate. This should now create the member. When you go back to the main assembly, you shouldn't have problems inserting the iAssembly.
Message 5 of 6
mikebelter

Josh:

Perfect, works fine once files are generated.
Thanks for your help.

Mike
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Mike,

I posted a ZIP to autodesk.inventor.customer-files. Same Subject line. The
excel file is embedded in the ipt file. Right we have to manually copy the
part number and past it to the part number property. I would like to
automate this if possible.

Thanks
Rick

wrote in message news:5994483@discussion.autodesk.com...
O.K. so I haven't used iAssemblies much and that was a while ago. I created
a simple iAssembly and inserted it into another assembly. I cannot change
component since it is asking to save to the library, and of course that
won't happen. Proxy file is set up in project. Do I have to generate members
and insert individual components now? Using Inventor 2009.

Thanks,
Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report