Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wish : Derived iProperties Would Update

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
220 Views, 6 Replies

I wish : Derived iProperties Would Update

Derive a part into a new part file and the iProperties (+ Custom iProperties) are copied across.

Change a parameter or the original part and the derived part updates, but the iProperties and custom iProperties don't.

The data that travels with the part is as important as the part itself, yet it is being treated as if it is a poor second cousin ! !
!

It might be necessary for Adesk to change the iProperties userform so that there are check (tick) boxes next to iProperties and
custom iProperties to indicate which one should be update and which shouldn't and it should be something that is done with the
workflow for producing a derived part. You don't want to go back and change the iProperties, so when you make a derived part the
iProperties userform should pop-up and you complete that with the process of producing a derived part.

--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad
as what passes for ordinary living."
(Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002)
www.autodesk.co.uk/inventorjobs
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Duncan,

Certainly we agree that it is important to bring iProperties in the derive part and also update it.

I verified in R10 and today we don't bring-in iProperties into the derived part and much less update it. For example:
Project, Part Number
Custom properties
Save Tab options
I was a little surprised when you say, "they are copied across".

We have discussed this for Derived assemblies and remains a wishlist item for now. Thanks.

shekar
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Shekar,

Definitely copied across - see attached - have a look at the Creation Date for example.

--
P4, 1.9 GHz
1.5Gb RAM, 4Gb page
Win X/P sp2 [all hotfixes] /3Gb-2300
AIS 9 sp3 [all hotfixes]
Vault 3
Nvidia Quadro4 980 XGL
(Bios 4.28.20.33.01) (Drv. 7.7.1.8)

--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad

wrote in message news:4912100@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi Duncan,

Certainly we agree that it is important to bring iProperties in the derive part and also update it.

I verified in R10 and today we don't bring-in iProperties into the derived part and much less update it. For example:
Project, Part Number
Custom properties
Save Tab options
I was a little surprised when you say, "they are copied across".

We have discussed this for Derived assemblies and remains a wishlist item for now. Thanks.

shekar
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Duncan,

Are you using any add-ons that I'm not aware of. So, I went to R9 and created a simple box in b.ipt. I derived b.ipt and said OK. Please look at the two screen images. The Creation Date and Designer fields didn't come through to the Derived part. Thanks.

shekar
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Shekar,

You'll see from the part name that this part was create by mirroring a part in an assembly. Maybe that makes the difference.

I derived your part and none of the parameters were copied.

I then placed your part into an assembly and mirrored it and the Creation Date was copied.

For add-ins see zipped attached. Your mirrored part is also zipped and attached.

When the parts and assemblies were first ceated I had Patrick de Stobbeleir's iProperty Collection, but I have since un-installed
this add-in.

I can't explain why the other iProperties were copied arcoss the first time but not the second.

--
Duncan

wrote in message news:4912133@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi Duncan,

Are you using any add-ons that I'm not aware of. So, I went to R9 and created a simple box in b.ipt. I derived b.ipt and said OK.
Please look at the two screen images. The Creation Date and Designer fields didn't come through to the Derived part. Thanks.

shekar
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Duncan,

Yes, when you mirror a part in the assembly a derived part gets created. On such a derived part, the Creation date (only) is getting copied in R9. Other properties in the same tab like, Description, Revision number, project is not getting copied. Atleast part of the mystery is solved for me.

If you can get other iProperties copied(which add-in, etc, is it due to iProperty?), please let me know.

I guess we need to consider all the iProperties that makes sense to be derived. Since derived parts are used in a number of places like iparts, mirror, etc we will have to consider all of those places for enhancements. Thanks.

shekar
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Shekar,

When I first created the part 5042.ipt I had Patrick de Stobbeleir's iProperty Collection installed, which is why there is data in
the Authority and Cost Centre fields. I had un-installed iProperty Collection by the time I mirrored the part in an assembly.

I can't explain why the Authority and Cost Centre fields have been copied across, unless there is a macro of something remaining in
the part file.

I've zipped and attached the original and mirrored parts. You'll notice the original was from an Inv6 template.

--
Duncan

wrote in message news:4912280@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi Duncan,

Yes, when you mirror a part in the assembly a derived part gets created. On such a derived part, the Creation date (only) is
getting copied in R9. Other properties in the same tab like, Description, Revision number, project is not getting copied. Atleast
part of the mystery is solved for me.

If you can get other iProperties copied(which add-in, etc, is it due to iProperty?), please let me know.

I guess we need to consider all the iProperties that makes sense to be derived. Since derived parts are used in a number of
places like iparts, mirror, etc we will have to consider all of those places for enhancements. Thanks.

shekar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report