Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-mate matching name

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
j.gossens
920 Views, 7 Replies

I-mate matching name

Hello

When I am inserting in an assembly two parts with I-mates and the name's of the I-mates are not matching they are acting of the name's are matching. So the two parts are constraint with the not matching I-mates. What is going wrong

greetings Jan
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: j.gossens

You mean they iMates are constraining with mismatched names or they're not? If you're talking about sets of iMates, I normally just change the suffixes to the order I want to place them then just pick the next position to place the next iMate. Might be missing what you're asking though. ~Larry "j.gossens" wrote in message news:28286617.1108293259095.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hello > > When I am inserting in an assembly two parts with I-mates and the name's of the I-mates are not matching they are acting of the name's are matching. So the two parts are constraint with the not matching I-mates. What is going wrong > > greetings Jan
Message 3 of 8
j.gossens

Larry

I mean if I insert two parts, in an assembly, with both one I-mate with a not matching names then they do connect on the face's with the not matching I-mate?

greetings Jan
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Not matching names means what? Something like" "iMate1 and iMate2" or something more like "iFish1 and iFrog1" or "iInsert1 and iInsert2", or "iInsert1 and iMate1". "iMate1 & iMate2" & "iInsert1 and iInsert2" are instances of the same mates and either set can be used to fill any number of holes, slots, whatever in an assembly. "iInsert1 and iMate1" are two different mates but can be used together to constrain the parts they apply to. Still don't think I know what your getting at. ~Larry "j.gossens" wrote in message news:26806633.1108534517212.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Larry > > I mean if I insert two parts, in an assembly, with both one I-mate with a > not matching names then they do connect on the face's with the not > matching I-mate? > > greetings Jan
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I have reported a bug at Autodesk several months ago about this issue... Inventor does NOT look at the actual names of the (composite) iMates, only to the Type/Offset and Order of the constraints. If all the Types/Offsets and Order (for example "Flush", "Flush", "Flush") are the same of 2 parts, Inventor will constrain these two parts. So if you have a part with an iMate called "iFish1 and iFrog1" (which are two Flushes), and you have another part with an iMate called "iBird1 and iTree1" (which are also two Flushes) --> Inventor will try to "mate" these two iMates. If the constraints are valid Inventor will create the composite iMate constraint. I too want to see Inventor looking first at the names of the comp. iMates (so not only do the constraints have to match, but also the names)... Cheers, Teun "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message news:42149d10$1_2@newsprd01... > Not matching names means what? Something like" "iMate1 and iMate2" or > something more like "iFish1 and iFrog1" or "iInsert1 and iInsert2", or > "iInsert1 and iMate1". "iMate1 & iMate2" & "iInsert1 and iInsert2" are > instances of the same mates and either set can be used to fill any number of > holes, slots, whatever in an assembly. "iInsert1 and iMate1" are two > different mates but can be used together to constrain the parts they apply > to. Still don't think I know what your getting at. > ~Larry > > "j.gossens" wrote in message > news:26806633.1108534517212.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Larry > > > > I mean if I insert two parts, in an assembly, with both one I-mate with a > > not matching names then they do connect on the face's with the not > > matching I-mate? > > > > greetings Jan > >
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Ah ... yeah ... up to speed on the issue now. Thanks for clarifying that. ~Larry "Teun Ham (IV9 SP2)" wrote in message news:4214a401$1_2@newsprd01... >I have reported a bug at Autodesk several months ago about this issue... > > Inventor does NOT look at the actual names of the (composite) iMates, only > to the Type/Offset and Order of the constraints. > > If all the Types/Offsets and Order (for example "Flush", "Flush", "Flush") > are the same of 2 parts, Inventor will constrain these two parts. > > So if you have a part with an iMate called "iFish1 and iFrog1" (which are > two Flushes), and you have another part with an iMate called "iBird1 and > iTree1" (which are also two Flushes) --> Inventor will try to "mate" these > two iMates. If the constraints are valid Inventor will create the > composite > iMate constraint. > > I too want to see Inventor looking first at the names of the comp. iMates > (so not only do the constraints have to match, but also the names)... > > Cheers, > > Teun > > "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message > news:42149d10$1_2@newsprd01... >> Not matching names means what? Something like" "iMate1 and iMate2" or >> something more like "iFish1 and iFrog1" or "iInsert1 and iInsert2", or >> "iInsert1 and iMate1". "iMate1 & iMate2" & "iInsert1 and iInsert2" are >> instances of the same mates and either set can be used to fill any number > of >> holes, slots, whatever in an assembly. "iInsert1 and iMate1" are two >> different mates but can be used together to constrain the parts they >> apply >> to. Still don't think I know what your getting at. >> ~Larry >> >> "j.gossens" wrote in message >> news:26806633.1108534517212.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> > Larry >> > >> > I mean if I insert two parts, in an assembly, with both one I-mate >> > with > a >> > not matching names then they do connect on the face's with the not >> > matching I-mate? >> > >> > greetings Jan >> >> > >
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

No problem! "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message news:4214ab91_3@newsprd01... > Ah ... yeah ... up to speed on the issue now. Thanks for clarifying that. > ~Larry > > "Teun Ham (IV9 SP2)" wrote in > message news:4214a401$1_2@newsprd01... > >I have reported a bug at Autodesk several months ago about this issue... > > > > Inventor does NOT look at the actual names of the (composite) iMates, only > > to the Type/Offset and Order of the constraints. > > > > If all the Types/Offsets and Order (for example "Flush", "Flush", "Flush") > > are the same of 2 parts, Inventor will constrain these two parts. > > > > So if you have a part with an iMate called "iFish1 and iFrog1" (which are > > two Flushes), and you have another part with an iMate called "iBird1 and > > iTree1" (which are also two Flushes) --> Inventor will try to "mate" these > > two iMates. If the constraints are valid Inventor will create the > > composite > > iMate constraint. > > > > I too want to see Inventor looking first at the names of the comp. iMates > > (so not only do the constraints have to match, but also the names)... > > > > Cheers, > > > > Teun > > > > "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message > > news:42149d10$1_2@newsprd01... > >> Not matching names means what? Something like" "iMate1 and iMate2" or > >> something more like "iFish1 and iFrog1" or "iInsert1 and iInsert2", or > >> "iInsert1 and iMate1". "iMate1 & iMate2" & "iInsert1 and iInsert2" are > >> instances of the same mates and either set can be used to fill any number > > of > >> holes, slots, whatever in an assembly. "iInsert1 and iMate1" are two > >> different mates but can be used together to constrain the parts they > >> apply > >> to. Still don't think I know what your getting at. > >> ~Larry > >> > >> "j.gossens" wrote in message > >> news:26806633.1108534517212.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > >> > Larry > >> > > >> > I mean if I insert two parts, in an assembly, with both one I-mate > >> > with > > a > >> > not matching names then they do connect on the face's with the not > >> > matching I-mate? > >> > > >> > greetings Jan > >> > >> > > > > > >
Message 8 of 8
CrAzY-MiKe
in reply to: Anonymous

I too am frustrated with i-mates. I am modeling a frame with 4 unique legs which I label LF, RF, LR and RR, relating to their position Left, Right, Front and Rear. Each leg has 3 i-mates which are all Mate half-constraints and have unique names. I also created a "skeleton" part which has 12 i-mates, with names to match each of the 3 i-mates in my 4 legs. Again, all 12 i-mates have unique names. My hope was that I could create an assembly with the first grounded part being the "skeleton" part, then each leg would "auto-Mate" upon insertion with the uniquely named i-mates shared between them. Sounds simple (and logical) enough, but such is not the case. Apparently i-mates don't care about names, unique or not. My desire in this is to emulate the behavior of the Frame Generator, allowing me to change legs while maintaining certain positional relationships between them. For instance, one set of legs might be formed sheetmetal angles 3" x 3", and another set might be 5" x 5" formed angle. These are custom forms and not something dragged in from Content Center, but I want certain faces to maintain position relative to one another. It makes want to put on my pirate eye-patch and walk around saying "Arrrrrrrrgh, hang 'em from the yardarm"!

Michael Hollingsworth
CAD Administrator | Flexicon Corporation
Autodesk Product Design and Manufacturing Collection 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report