Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to make a vise

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
510 Views, 5 Replies

I'm trying to make a vise

I am trying to make a vise that will move back and forth when I turn the handle. I am trying to use a the Rotation/Translation motion constraint to drive a screw ( made by coil) through a threaded hole ( made using a boolean operation with the screw and sculpt command). I believe that I need some clearance for the screw to move through the threaded hole. Attached is what I have done so far.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! Instead of using Contact Set, I use a different workflow simplifying the motion using Transitional constraint. The trick here is to find the ideal contact between the screw and the groove. If I understand the design intent and how the motion is supposed to work correctly, the contact between the screw and the groove can be represented by a sphere (revolved surface) and the groove face. As you can see, the motion will be very smooth with this workflow. You can use Interference Analysis to find the collision.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
JDMather

Here is my solution.

Expand the screw and right click on the Drive This constraint and select Drive Constraint.

Click the (reverse) Play.

Drive This.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

In both of these solutions it does not seem to me that when you turn the lever that the screw will eaisly turn into the threaded hole. Please let me know if it is working differently for you. 

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

It sounds like you need to learn about Environments>Dynamic Simulation.

I will post example later today.

If you,

Suppress the Drive This constraint

and go to Environments>Dynamic Simulaton

add a Screw Joint

you can now drag the screw to turn it and it will work as expected.

Screw Joint.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I was actually trying to do it without dynamic simulation I want to be able to be in assembly and turn the lever with the mouse and see the vise close and open. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report