Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love view representations NOT!

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
JimSteinmeyer
1002 Views, 22 Replies

I love view representations NOT!

Ok I am struggling with this again. Some how when my assembly was made I had several work planes visable on several subassemblies. No big deal, I will just go to the subassemblies, turn them off and save them and all will be fixed right? Wrong, the assembly still opens with the work planes showing. So I expand the subassemblies and turn the visability off in the top level assembly. Now when I attempt to save the assembly I am told that the master view is locked and I need to create a new view. But I don't ever want all the work planes on and I don't want to create a new view because that leads to not being able to save a linked assembly or drawing if the wrong thing is open somewhere.

How do I unlock the master view to be able to save it with the planes turned off?

design rep.JPG

Thank you

Jim

Inventor 2012

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
karthur1
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

@JimSteinmeyer wrote:

How do I unlock the master view to be able to save it with the planes turned off?

You can't.  Create a new design view (right click on the View:Master node then click New) and then you can make whatever change you want.

The Master is there so that you can select it and it makes everything visible again.

Message 3 of 23

The Master View is always locked. There should be a 'Default View' as well, this is normally the default view an assembly is set to and is the one that can be altered. It looks like the Default View has been deleted from either this particular assembly or your template file used to create the assembly. If you want to save the changes you will need to create a new View Rep.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 4 of 23
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: karthur1

That is the whole point. I don't want everything visable again and I don't want extra design views causing problems down the road.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 5 of 23
jtylerbc

First - your comment about save issues with multiple representations open only applies to Levels of Detail, not View Representations.  This is why I've steered you toward using View Representations in a few threads previously, specifically to avoid that issue.

Typically, you shouldn't be working in the Master view rep.  By definition, it means that "everything is visible and you can't turn it off," and thus you can't unlock it.  You should normally be using the Default view rep instead, which you seem to have deleted.  It would not be locked,and would allow you to do what you need with the plane visibility.

To fix your problem, you need to recreate the Default view rep, and switch to it instead of Master.

Message 6 of 23
mcgyvr

You should always have (at least) the Master and Default view reps.. So stop deleting the default rep. Thats your "default"..not the Master.

Design view reps work just fine (in fact they are very handy) when you know what you are doing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 23
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: mcgyvr

Ok that makes some sence. the default must have been deleted out of frusteration over one of the related issues.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 8 of 23
karthur1

Jim,

In your original post, you said "...because that leads to not being able to save a linked assembly or drawing if the wrong thing is open somewhere."

That might be true with LOD's, but not with design views (or, not that I have ever seen that anyway).

When you bring in a sub, it is placed with the Master view rep active.  In your case with the workplanes, go into the sub and turn off the planes there. Now back in the main assembly, right-clk on the subs in the browser and choose, Representations. The Master view rep (the one at the top) is the one it defaults to.  Change this to Default (or something else if you renamed it).  You can also pick Associative and if you later turn the planes back on it will show correctly in the iam.

If you dont want to create a new VR in the subs, then create a new VR in the main.  Now go to View tab, object visibility and turn off what you dont want shown.  Now when you select this VR it turns them off, select Master and everything is back on.

Message 9 of 23
JimSteinmeyer

Thank you Karhur,

I must have just lumped LOD and View Reps together because they are both new and don't behave as I think they should. Life was so much clearer to me when I had to physically create a unchangeable view or rep if I wanted one. I will eventually get it.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 10 of 23

Hi Jim !

I totally agree with your issue here.

This ridiculous setup whereby when I ope nmy assembly or sub- assembly and see all my work features turned on is not the way things aught to be.

Akin to opening an Autocad drawing which contains about a hundred layers for all levels on a sixty story building.

You are enforced to supress objects even before you can use the drawing or the model.

Happened to me last week on Inventor 2013 and not one Rep from the corporation has a viable answer to it.

Jim Reilly

Filter Solutions.

Burlington, Ontario

Message 11 of 23
TessalationJIm
in reply to: jtylerbc

Sorry to tell you that your advice does not resolve the issue here.

I have many assembly models in Inventor 2012 and 2013 which open in Master rep. view / master LOD

and there is no evidence of work planes on the assy. when I open it.

So to say that assy. saved to master Rep. view will always show ALL is misleading.

I compare this situation to having a large AutoCAD drawing with say hundreds of layers for all the different trades in a large institutional building.

What if every time you open it all the **** layers came on ! And you were then expected to start suppressing layers before you could work with the drawing.

Totally insane.

Bottom line is the template from the box opens with Master Rep. view active and locked.

Plus the LOD is set to Master.

Where does switching to Default Rep. view come into all this.

Message 12 of 23
TessalationJIm

Tried all of the above ! Still stucj with an assembly and sub's which open with all work features vissible.

ie Master Rep. active, locked and controlling everything below it.

Message 13 of 23
karthur1
in reply to: TessalationJIm

@Tessellation's wrote:

Tried all of the above ! Still stuck with an assembly and sub's which open with all work features vissible.

ie Master Rep. active, locked and controlling everything below it.

I know that view reps seem frustrating (to say the least), but let me make a few points about what you have said.

1. "Master Rep. active, locked and controlling everything below it".... The Master View rep (VR) does not control anything below it.  The master view rep is locked and will show EVERYTHING... every part and every workplane, work axis, workpoint..etc.

Probably the most important things that new users miss is this:

a. VR control the visibility of parts and planes and other things. You can can use it to control the color or visibility of parts.  If you want the part suppressed, then use LOD... not VR.

b. When you place a sub into an assembly, it will come in as the Master VR.  If you have defined a Default (or other) VR in the sub, activate it by right-clicking it in the assembly browser and choosing "Representations".  In the Representations dialog, change the Master to Default (or other).  Now, if you want this VR to automatically change if/when you make edits to the way its defined in the sub, check the "Associative" box here.

c. When you "Open" a sub, it will open in "Default" VR.  Even if you have defined different ones and save the assembly last with one of them active.... it still opens in the default VR. There is a catch to this... if you have renamed the Default VR, then it will open with the VR that was active on the last time it was SAVED.

d.You can use the View> Object visibility panel to temporarily turn off all the work planes /axis/points in the Master VR, but you cant save it.  If you want one with them all turned off, create a new VR and turn them off in that one.  You can save it then... as long as you dont lock it.

e.  Once you have a view rep EXACTLY the way you want it... Lock it.  Then, if a part/iam is added to the iam, it will not be included in the VR.

Message 14 of 23
JimSteinmeyer

Thank you for the detailed list of how the reps work. It will help when I have to use them. I know that for those of you who have used the software for some time these things are clear and second nature. But when I was using "that software which shall remain unnamed" We would call these options Work-Arounds that were long winded multistep methods to get around a poorly preforming feature that should have taken only a click or two. Yes there are many work-arounds needed there, it's just that they seem to be built into the software as a good idea here. This array of reps and LODs and such is a prime example.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 15 of 23
karthur1

Jim,

These are not work-arounds.... just the way it works. In order to activate a VR in an assembly, it takes no more than 4 clicks to activate it.

Watch this video.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/community/Videos/Large_Assembly_-_View_Representations

Here's a quick start video.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/community/Videos/View_Reps_Quick_Start

Message 16 of 23
JimSteinmeyer

I guess that is my point, to me, they "seem" like work arounds. Maybe it is a case of "absence making the heart grow fonder" as I have been away from SW for over a year and I don't remember things being this difficult. That being said, I am starting to get this area figured out and it isn't as bad as I once thought, just a different way of thinking about things.

No, A work around would be more like having to reset the sketch origon everytime you edit a model and the edges move or change. Set the bloddy origin at the model origen and be done with it! but I guess that my having to manually set it there with every sketch is a "work around" isn't it.

Sorry for the rant at the end. I just had to do it again for a part that needed modifications.

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 17 of 23

I should say that I also have fond memories of Pre- WildFire Pro-E so maybe I have a very selective memory.Smiley Very Happy

Jim

HP G71 notebook
Win 7 home premium

Message 18 of 23
TessalationJIm

Some great points raised and well explained Karthir1 .

I will be more explicate this time:

I was talking of the effect Master View Representation has on my ability or non ability to save my model assembly and then subsequently open said sub- assy. with no work features showing on the screen.

L.O.D 's work just fine for me within the master Rep. View. I did not allude to them as an isuue.

My problem is that even if I create a new V.R. - Activate it - Lock it then save and open.

My main Assembly always comes in with Master V.R. as default - locked and my myriad of

work features loaded again on to the screen.

There is no way for me to ever suppress a work feature and save in master V.P. mode.

I constantly get the error:  “ The current design view representation is locked. Changes made against it will not be saved. If you want to keep those changes, create a  new design representation, or unlock the current one “

Just for the records I am now looking at a fairly large mechanical assembly model (100) parts

Opened on my system (version 2013  x 64– Windows 7 Pro X 64)  at present in this configuration.

1)      In master V.R. – active and locked

2)      All LOD’s Master

3)      My browser filter “allowing all work features”

4)      View object visibility = All features ON

5)      In browser under each *.iam  the Representation views are all set to Master, assoc. greyed out.

And not one work feature in sight.

Please note that this assembly was created in Version 2012 !

To sum up  !  are we all doing this each and every day we open assembly or sub.

Clicking on the View – Visibility – all Features off.

If so, let me tell you that as soon as you create one additional feature to that assy.

All legacy features in your model will pop back on again.

Beginning to think  Solid Works WAS the way to go after all !

Message 19 of 23
TessalationJIm

Karthur1

Thanks for placing the short video clip for us.

After viewing it I am seeing how this component should be handled after all.

Perhaps the open - options- then choose your "Default" V.R. to open from might work after all.

Seems flexibility is the keyword here.

I never used to bother opening my assemblies in this mode with prior versions.

But if it gives the user better, smarter options I am not averse to any of that.

Thanks again !

Message 20 of 23
SBix26
in reply to: TessalationJIm

This doesn't match my experience at all.

New assembly files open with the Default view rep active, and that's what is used by default whenever they're placed in a higher level assembly.  Work features turned on or off in the subassemby's Default view rep are respected by the main assembly.

Is it possible that your assembly template(s) just needs to have the Default view rep activated so that's what is normally used?  I have not messed with view reps in our templates, so that's the way they come from Autodesk by default.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report