Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i Logic push i Properties

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
deltades
862 Views, 9 Replies

i Logic push i Properties

Hi. 

I want to use i Logic to retreave or push the i Property of "Project" from my skeleton file to the rest of the parts and assemblies in the project.

Has anyone done something like this.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: deltades

What properties are you looking to push?  I ask because I have iLogic rules that feed from the parts through the assemblies and into the drawings that relate to scale and weight.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
deltades
in reply to: Cadmanto

I want to push the i Property of "Project" from my skeleton sketch file to all associated files.

From what I have been able to find in the rules editor there are no tools that will facilitate this.

Message 4 of 10

Hi deltades,

Would it be acceptable to push the iProperty down from the assembly file? If so you can do this without iLogic by using the BOM editor, or with iLogic using something like this:

'Define the open document
Dim openDoc As Document
openDoc = ThisDoc.Document

'Look at all of the files referenced in the open document
Dim docFile As Document
For Each docFile In openDoc.AllReferencedDocuments                
'format  file name                   
Dim FNamePos As Long
FNamePos = InStrRev(docFile.FullFileName, "\", -1)                        
Dim docFName As String 
docFName = Right(docFile.FullFileName, Len(docFile.FullFileName) - FNamePos) 
iProperties.Value(docFName, "Project", "Project") = "X-1234"
Next

In this example the iProperty is a hard value of "X-1234", but you could pull it up from the skeleton file and then push it into the other files. This could be done several different ways, but i think you'll need to provide more information to figure out your setup.

Also just as a tip, you can search and ask programming questions of this type on the Inventor Customization forum too:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/bd-p/120

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 10

I think that will do it. Kind of a round about way. but the end result should be the same.

What I am trying to do is... I have a form in the skeleton that provides for selections or custom value entries for the geometry and noticed while building the form that I could enter the project. This is good because the solution will be applied to numerous projects. So I thought I could enter the project name / number here and then not worry about it again when going thru the drawing package to run the updates.

I expect there will be other i Properties that I will want to push that I have not yet made a decision on.. one thing that I did find is that the editor does provide for the "Custom" property which can be anything and I could then map the drawing to that instead of the "Project" field of the pre-defined fields. It's just that I am a purest.. if its in Inventor as a pre-defined field by Auto Desk I would rather use it instead of defining my a custom property... especially if it already exists.

Thanks for the in put.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

You should be able to do this using the Design Assistant.  In Inventor open the file that you want to use as the "base" for the property.  Open the Design Assistant from within Inventor via the Inventor button and then  Manage.

Under Tools in the DA is "Copy Design Properties".  This opens a dialog box and if you have your original file already open it should populate the "Copy From" field.  You can go through and slect the various properties that you want to propagate to other files.  In the "Copy To" select "All Open Files."  For some reason selecting "Related Files" never works for me.  In the list of files that shows up in the dialog box select the files that you want to copy the properties to and then hit the Copy button.

Message 7 of 10
deltades
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes.. But if a change is made when the completed design is copied for use on another project and the project name/number is changed will that cascade throughout automatically?

I don't think it would...

Message 8 of 10
mrattray

This would be easy if only text parameters were exportable...

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 10
deltades
in reply to: mrattray

exactly!

Message 10 of 10

Curtis,
Is there a way I could write a rule into all my files that would reach into my skeleton and get what ever i Property I specified? Like this?

Component.IsActive("AC100-0100MRL-S:1") = True
iProperties.Value("AC100-0100MRL-S:1", "Project","Project")

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report