Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a fast PC, but Inventor is painfully slow

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Marsteller
3101 Views, 4 Replies

I have a fast PC, but Inventor is painfully slow

My computer is quite fast, however, when I run Inventor with a large assembly, moving any mechanisms is extremely slow. 

PC Stats:

Model: MALIBAL Nine X7200

CPU: Intel i7-960

GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 6990 in CrossFireX

RAM: 12 GB

HDD: 7200RPM SATA 750 GB

I understand that the GPUs are not technically made for CAD, but I would expect that they would at least be able to run Inventor at an acceptable speed.  Most of my projects are VEX and FRC robots, which are not any more complicated than a lot of the other projects I've seen.  Thanks in advance for the help.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: Marsteller

i7-960 = $300 good for a cheaper gaming cpu (only 8MB L3 cache)

2x HD6990 = $1500 excellent gaming gpu (as inventor uses directx, its also a great setup for inventor - Although an overkill for the cpu - the mobo has X79 chipset = vgood)

only 12 G ram (and what speed - did you get the 1066 [only average] or the 1333 [better-but not the best]) - Inventor loads a lot into ram...the more the better at todays prices, load up on the fastest you can get

7200rpm SATA HDD - inventor does a lot of file openining id go multiple raptor(10000rpm),scsi or solid state in a raid config (if you have a good server and redundancy then 2 stripped would do otherwise id be looking for a raid 5 or 10 setup)

all in all while that machine will work on inventor models ok, i would not consider that to be a 'fast' inventor pc, it would be good to take on the road, however a dedicated pc will kill it for speed on big assemblies

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 3 of 5
Marsteller
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Thanks a lot.  Ive got 1066mhz RAM.

Message 4 of 5
JDMather

@Marsteller wrote:

when I run Inventor with a large assembly, moving any mechanisms is extremely slow. 

Assemblies (especially with moving mechanisms) are extreemly sensitive to technique.

Any adaptivity?

Chained constraints?

Neutral format imports?

Poorly modeled parts?

I think only way to know for sure is to have someone else take a look.

I can often narrow down on one particular part causing problems pretty quickly.

A little slower method is to remove parts one-by-one and see if it makes a differnce and then undo.

Search for Walt Jaquith "House of Cards" essay here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
William1337

make sure "software graphics" is not checked under Application options/ hardware, but use either Quatlity, Perfomance or compatibility.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report