Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I give up - How does one modify and then use styles???

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
acad-caveman
2004 Views, 7 Replies

I give up - How does one modify and then use styles???

First of all, I'm a recent Inventor user. I'm on subscription and will be taking the VAR provided class as soon as it will be possible.

My question however should be so retardedly simple that I see no reason why it could not be figured out, unless of course I am an extra retard....

Anyway.

I would like to do the following:

1: Make the default dimension to be 3 decimal ( 0.123)

2: Make the default layer for dimensions green, centerlines red with dash-dot linetype and hidden lines gray

3: Whenever I create a new drawing, I want the sheetsize to default to E.

For now, that's all........

I've read the helpfiles, read a book, read some other online documentation. I have made changes to the style, even created my own standard .....   Well, at least I thought I did. Apparently not one single thing has ever stuck! Not one thing!

So far, the only thing I know how to do is to modify the active style and document for the one and only miserable document that is active.

I cannot, for the life of me figure out how to create my own style, modify it's defaults, save it and then make it active ( the default style/standard) each and every time a new drawing is created.

If anyone out there could point me to some document that has an understandable description of style libraries and their use, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You!

This BTW is on Inventor Professional 2011

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

There are tutorials at http://mcadforums.com >> tutorials

However, here's a simple way to get there...

1. In Projects set Use Style Libraries to Read Only. (this prevents you from screwing up your styles library

2. Open a new IDW from Standard IDW template.

3. Go to Manage >> Styles Editor

2316i9292EB47068C67F4

Go to Layers and change your settings...

2318i600F591CE312123F

Go to Dimensions and set your precision(s) there.  You can also make new dim styles ( 2,4,5 decimals) for easy reuse there.

Save the IDW. and test out your settings. When they are right, close the file, reset your project file to YES. Thin open the IDW you just created and ho to Manage >> Styles >> Save to save your styles into the Styles Library.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 8

Sorry, ran out of space on previous post.

To Default your sheet size to another size, you will need to open your IDW TEMPLATE and change the Default there.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 4 of 8

Dennis, Thank you ..... I think....

Here is the thing.

I've attempted to follow what you wrote. Did all those steps. Made the changes, saved the file and also saved-as new template.

First it did not work.

Second try I've realized that there is 2 saves. One is right in the editor ( WHich I don't know what it does ) then another one

on the ribbon next to the styles editor.

I clicked that. It saved it.

Now what I get is a message that teh styles are different than the one in the styles library and they will be used instead.

So, not knowing any better, I've clicked "do not warn ... ever" under prompts.

Bottom line is that all the  things I wanted are how I want them.

The only problem is that I still can't figure out WHAT THE HELL I JUST DID!

ANyway, thank you very much. The IDW environment is how I'd like them now so all is well with the software.

Now if I can only figure out what's wrong with my brain .......

Message 5 of 8
Orest_iy
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Dennis

The most importand question

once I did those alterations and saved changes to the Style Library the altered Style is getting a custom one?

I mean if ANSI by default has some settings so after setting lines green and dashed and etc

the altered style will not match ANSI?

There must be custom style (a copy of existing) created and than making alterations?

So far I am using my .styxml file I am importing in each IDW since not going to alter my

genuine ISO and have no time yet to find how it is actually must be done.

Regards,

Orest Yavtushenko

Message 6 of 8
BMiller63
in reply to: acad-caveman

This may help as well:

Everything You Need to Know About Autodesk Inventor Styles

(and a Few Things You’d Rather Not Know)

By Andrew Faix

http://mfgcommunity.autodesk.com/files/20301_20400/20363/file_20363.pdf

Message 7 of 8
acad-caveman
in reply to: BMiller63

Ahh....! That is one awsome documentation Thank You!

I just wish there were more of those PDFs that are dedicated to one or another very specific topics.

I can usually muddle through stuff to get my job done, but often the little nuances that are hidden behind a bunch of details

is what takes a long time to figure out.

On that note, is there a book of some sort that describes in a fairly complete detail each and every feature, command, option of Inventor?

Quite some time ago ( last century) I did pick up an instructor book on AutoCAD14 that has virtually any and every command detailed. It is useless for someone just starting out with acad but is incredibly useful for those who are alrady using it and trying to get the last little tidbit out of the possibilities.

I think I'm getting the hang of Inventor, but sometimes I know I spend too much time with trying to figure out what's wrong with the sketch or doing something in 5 steps that can likely be done in 1 or 2.  The books I have are wicked basic and are no longer any worthwile help. Hoping to find something more of a command guide type of books that describe the inner workings in more detail.

Message 8 of 8
BMiller63
in reply to: acad-caveman

@acad-caveman wrote:

I just wish there were more of those PDFs that are dedicated to one or another very specific topics...

...is there a book of some sort that describes in a fairly complete detail each and every feature, command, option of Inventor?

That PDF came from Autodesk University originally. There are many more of that type here:

Autodesk University handouts from classes

As for a book Mastering Autodesk Inventor is the one I like. It's kind of a mix of tutorials and reference, so it's probably not exactly what you're after. Most often I just start the command and hit F1 to find the specifics of a command I'm not familiar with. But I like to have a book handy as well.

Some other sources for info that I use are:

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report