Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't understand mirroring an assembly

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
124 Views, 6 Replies

I don't understand mirroring an assembly

I want to mirror an assembly But it always makes new parts. The assembly is to be mirrored, but the parts in the assembly don't change. What I'm after is an new assembly and the new file name to be the same but with "mir" at the end. But all the parts in the assembly are to stay the same. How do I do this. -- Lester Martin
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
steve-o
in reply to: Anonymous

Depending on what you are going to use the mirrored assembly for, there is a couple different ways to do it. If it is just for representational purposes, you could make a derived part of the assembly, then make a derived part of the derived assembly and use the "mirror" option in the derived part dialog box. This, however, will create an extra file in between the original and the mirrored assembly files.

If you need to detail the mirrored assembly separately with it's own parts list and balloons, I think the easiest way may be to create a new assembly and build it from scratch. The only other way I know of is to use the mirror assembly feature and suffer with all the extra parts created. Maybe someone else can think of a better way.

Hope this helps
-Steve
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

I've noticed this as well, Lester. It seemed that before, if a part was reversible (could be used on either right or left side), it would not create a new part, but rather re-use the existing part. The other day I tried this with plain rectangle flat sheets (no holes or features) and it tried creating new parts for the mirrored assembly! I haven't used it alot, but I would assume there MUST be some way to avoid this in the mirror assembly window, I just didn't have time to mess around with it. The mirror assembly feature should NOT recreate parts unless they cannot be interchanged between the two sides. I'm pretty sure when this feature was introduced, that's how it operated. I've only used it a few times, though. Sorry I couldn't be of any real help here. -- Scott M Inventor 9, SP1 Windows XP Pro Maxtor 60GB HD 3D Labs Wildcat VP560 64MB Intel Pentium4 2.4GHz 1GB RAM "steve-o" wrote in message news:16640648.1100277644856.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Depending on what you are going to use the mirrored assembly for, there is a couple different ways to do it. If it is just for representational purposes, you could make a derived part of the assembly, then make a derived part of the derived assembly and use the "mirror" option in the derived part dialog box. This, however, will create an extra file in between the original and the mirrored assembly files. > > If you need to detail the mirrored assembly separately with it's own parts list and balloons, I think the easiest way may be to create a new assembly and build it from scratch. The only other way I know of is to use the mirror assembly feature and suffer with all the extra parts created. Maybe someone else can think of a better way. > > Hope this helps > -Steve
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

BTW, I'm ASSUMING you're using IV9-SP1?????????? -- Scott M Inventor 9, SP1 Windows XP Pro Maxtor 60GB HD 3D Labs Wildcat VP560 64MB Intel Pentium4 2.4GHz 1GB RAM
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Yes Scott I am using Inventor 9 And as Steve was saying, I could derive the assembly, which is what I use to do. But for representational purposes if I derive the assembly, the whole assembly is one colour which doesn't look very nice depending on what I'm showing. And building from scratch is what I was hoping I could get away from. Thanks for the information But I was hoping for different answers. 😃
Message 6 of 7
mvollmers

Try this. In the Mirror Components window with the filenames, click on Open in new WIndow, and this will allow you to change the name of the assembly. Go to each component, and rename it to match the original. The status should change to reuse existing. You should have a new mirrored assembly with the same components as the original.

Mark
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thank You Mark Didn't know you could give the same name. "mvollmers" wrote in message news:15807365.1100289690473.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Try this. In the Mirror Components window with the filenames, click on Open in new WIndow, and this will allow you to change the name of the assembly. Go to each component, and rename it to match the original. The status should change to reuse existing. You should have a new mirrored assembly with the same components as the original. > > Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report