Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don`t find Emboss in Inventor 2015 HSM

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
misha_sport93
1638 Views, 7 Replies

I don`t find Emboss in Inventor 2015 HSM

Hi

I try to make an engraving, but can not find the option Emboss nowhere,

Does anyone know the cause for which HSM version does not have this function?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: misha_sport93

Your question would be answered better in the HSM forum..

http://camforum.autodesk.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
LT.Rusty
in reply to: misha_sport93

There are a few absolutely maddening shortcomings with Inventor HSM.  I love it, buuuuuut .... it's missing a few functionalities which I consider to be vital, and which sort of force me to use it only in parallel with another (otherwise vastly inferior) CAM software.

Engraving is something that HSM doesn't do really well.  If you have HSM Express, you can use the 2D Trace tool, but you have to lay out your text manually as single-line sketch geometry, and you will have rounded tips to all your letters, because the Trace tool will only follow your line and cut exactly in those spots.

V-carving is something else.  In the full version of HSM you have the 3D Pencil tool - which is useful - but it doesn't truly do V-carving.  You can do a pocket operation on a set of letters to clear out the bottoms and then do a Pencil operation to get the corners sort of right, but this is time consuming and just annoying.

The other thing that - inexplicably - is not included is the capability to make bridges / tabs.  A lot of the jobs that I cut start from a solid block of plastic or a chunk of wood, and I'm cutting something out of that.  I start with the plastic locked down on a spoil board (usually using drywall screws) and then by the end when I'm ready to cut it out of the remaining material ... once you get down to the very end, as soon as it breaks through the end of the material the cutter will grab and either damage the workpiece of fling it off into the far corners of the shop, because there's nothing left to hold it in place.  I'd be able to get far more effective use out of HSM - far safer use - if I could have bridges and tabs.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

The other thing that - inexplicably - is not included is the capability to make bridges / tabs.  A lot of the jobs that I cut start from a solid block of plastic or a chunk of wood, and I'm cutting something out of that.  I start with the plastic locked down on a spoil board (usually using drywall screws) and then by the end when I'm ready to cut it out of the remaining material ... once you get down to the very end, as soon as it breaks through the end of the material the cutter will grab and either damage the workpiece of fling it off into the far corners of the shop, because there's nothing left to hold it in place.  I'd be able to get far more effective use out of HSM - far safer use - if I could have bridges and tabs.

Tabs is now (for a few months now) supported in HSM express and the full blown version.. 

I've used tabs numerous times now and it works great.. 

From the July 2014 HSM Express release notes..

Added a Tabs function to the 2D Contour operation. With the Tabs option enabled on the Geometry tab, you can define Square and Triangular tabs at user-specified intervals, or at user-specified positions.

and looks like there is engraving stuff too..

http://solidcodesolutions.com/hsmworks/tips-tricks/engraving_projected-line_font.html

and others..

http://camforum.autodesk.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

http://www.hsmworks.com/docs/hsmworks/2013/en/#StrategyProject

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 8
LT.Rusty
in reply to: mcgyvr

All I'm hearing right now is some insane mashup in my head of the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's Messiah and the 1812 Overture.

I will be examining this functionality EXTENSIVELY this weekend.  That was the last real barrier to me being able to recommend HSM to my (soon to be former) lords and masters at work.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
LT.Rusty

I almost didn't see your note about the engraving stuff.  Projection is great - it's a 3D trace - but the technique they're showing there doesn't work with Inventor, because Inventor doesn't support single-line fonts.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

All I'm hearing right now is some insane mashup in my head of the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's Messiah and the 1812 Overture.

I will be examining this functionality EXTENSIVELY this weekend.  That was the last real barrier to me being able to recommend HSM to my (soon to be former) lords and masters at work.

Like I said I use tabs now ALL the time.. I've never had any problems..

The only issue I had (and it could just be me..never really cared to see if I'm just doing it wrong) but if you want your contour path to finish below the part surface and into your spoilboard you must make sure your tabs are the right height as they move down when you move the bottom down.. But again it could just be how I do it incorrectly 🙂

Actually working on a vacuum table right now too but still love tabs.. 

Message 8 of 8
LT.Rusty

@mcgyvr wrote:

Like I said I use tabs now ALL the time.. I've never had any problems..

The only issue I had (and it could just be me..never really cared to see if I'm just doing it wrong) but if you want your contour path to finish below the part surface and into your spoilboard you must make sure your tabs are the right height as they move down when you move the bottom down.. But again it could just be how I do it incorrectly 🙂

Actually working on a vacuum table right now too but still love tabs.. 

Simulate, simulate, simulate, right?  🙂

I'm jealous of your vacuum table.  At work they were too chintzy to buy it for us, and at home I don't have enough clearance under the gantry.  If I ever get around to buying the gantry riser blocks though I might go ahead and make myself a vacuum system.  Maybe.  We'll see.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report