Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSM Express doesn't work?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
overby.kai
492 Views, 13 Replies

HSM Express doesn't work?

Hello.

I am a student of CNC ,CAD, and CAM and have learned the basics of inventor and was tasked by my teacher to find a tutorial on HSM Express and learn it. 

So I found the tutorials in the help section of the CAM RIbbon button in Inventor Proffetional 2014 and I understood how it worked and so on, up untill a point where it simply ignores what you expect it to do, completely. I came to the last part of the second tutorial and was/am trying to complete the "chamfer" outside the tutorial 2 stock piece, but it simply refuses to do an outside 2d contour.

I then made a little testmodel and tried to replicate the error, and voila, same error.

as you can see in the images I have linked I can not understand why this is happening, I am doing exactly what the tutorial says to do, only altering what it tells me to.

My testmodel is simply a bow with two holes partly cut our from it and a chamfer around it.. I will attach the file if anyone is interested, this is the exact same thing that happens with the tutorial file.

The last image is a simulation in cimco of the NC generated file to verify that it in fact is incorrect and just not a visual bug in Inventor.

Screenshot 1, 2 and 3

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
-niels-
in reply to: overby.kai

Welcome to the forum!

It might be because my system is a little messed up atm, but when i check your model i didn't get any toolpaths.

From the images you posted it looks to me that the backplot isn't showing what you expect...
Might it be possible that the backplot is set to an incorrect postprocessor? (your screen shows "ISO Fräsning")

I'll have to see if i get a moment to go through the tutorial if what i'm saying is totally irrelevant...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 14
overby.kai
in reply to: -niels-

Thanks, my bad, I forgot to save the toolpath...

Re-attaching with it saved!

Message 4 of 14
-niels-

Ah, ok.
Easy enough:
Edit your toolpath, go to the "passes" tab and change the sideways compensation to "right (conventional milling)".

I think that should help.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 14
overby.kai

Thanks but, no, same result.

Message 6 of 14
-niels-

This is my result when i change the direction i mentioned:

Outside_milling.png

You are not seeing the same?

It's the only setting i changed, here's another picture for reference:

Passes_setting.png

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 14
overby.kai

No the only change I can see is where the tool starts the workload.

Maybe I have some obscure setting somewhere set differently from yours?

inventor_hsm.png

Message 8 of 14
-niels-

I notice the direction arrow is pointing in the other direction in your image...

Try switching between left or right compensation see if it changes.
You can also click on the arrow to change direction, so see if any combination of left/right and arrow direction gets the result you need.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 14
overby.kai

Installing service pack 2 for 2014 now, I thought it was auto updated, maybe that will fix it.
Message 10 of 14
-niels-

Hmm... which version of HSM Express are you using...
I've been checking this on IV2015 with HSM Express 2015 (build 2.2.0.036), so you might be on the right track updating everything.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 11 of 14
overby.kai

Build 246 Inventor Pro 2014 SP2, and my HSM Express version is 1.1.0.125. I got partial success clicking the arrow in choose toolpath mode as you suggested, but it still behaves... unexpectedly:

hsm_express_2.png

Message 12 of 14
overby.kai

Installing latest update for HSM Express 2014 now, unless do you think I can run the 2015 version off Inventor 2014?

Edit: the latest update must be installed for 2014 allready in the 2014 SP2 pack, it did not allow me to update or install anything from the HSM Express update package.

Message 13 of 14
-niels-

HSM Express 2015 also works with IV2014, so you could try installing the latest version.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 14 of 14
overby.kai

Ding ding ding, it was the most common error, user error, in the form of not the latest version. Works now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report