Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how would you model this part

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
James__S
586 Views, 14 Replies

how would you model this part

How would you model this part?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: James__S

Have a look at something like this?

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 15
James__S
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Thanks Jo

The shape on your part face is different to the shape on my part face.

Message 4 of 15
JoAnn_Hogan

I see what you mean, Sorry I didn't go back and check yours.

Yours is actually quite nicely done. Why would you want to change it?

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 15
James__S
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Thanks Jo

Wasn`t sure if there was a better way

Thanks again

Message 6 of 15
JoAnn_Hogan

I wouldn't change anything.Good job though

Jo - Ann
Message 7 of 15
mrattray

That's a good looking part. Nothing comes to mind that I would change.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 15
graemev

Instead of a split, I would have done a bidirectional extrude-intersection.  It's not specifically "better", just different.

Message 9 of 15
mrattray
in reply to: graemev

Is there actually any reason to avoid the split, though? I've never used a split like this before and I, also, would have used an extrusion, but I can't come up with a good reason why it isn't a valid technique.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 15
graemev
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:
Is there actually any reason to avoid the split, though? I've never used a split like this before and I, also, would have used an extrusion, but I can't come up with a good reason why it isn't a valid technique.

Sorry, you snuck in before I could post the edit to my reply.  (Went and hit "post" before properly finishing the first time 'round.  D'oh!)

It's not wrong, it's just different.  I am more inclined to use solids and booleans than surfaces when modelling.  This does, of course, impose some limitations on what I can efficiently model, however.  (It's a noted deficiency on my part, really.  PEBCAK: Prioblem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.)

Message 11 of 15
James__S

Thanks for the responses.How does the bidirectional extrude-intersection work.I have not used before this tool

Thank you 

James

Message 12 of 15
JDMather

Delete your Split feature.

Do Extrude and select the circle sketch.

Set to mid-plane through all and instead of Joint or Cut, select the third option - Intersection.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
James__S
in reply to: JDMather

I did do that but i am just curious as to how this feature actually works.I see the final result but how does it work and when best to use

Message 14 of 15
JDMather

A boolean intersection - imagine two solids, your part and the extruded cylinder, only what is common to the space is retained.

I will try find some examples to present where this is useful.
This function might be one of the most neglected, yet useful functions in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
James__S

Thanks

Some samples will be appreciated

James

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report