Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
autodesk
Message 1 of 4 (352 Views)

How would you design a box like this with lots of tabs?

352 Views, 3 Replies
10-22-2012 02:13 PM

I would like to use inventor 2013 to create boxes as described at Inventables which contains acrylic pieces with tabs on each side that fit together like a puzzle.  So 2 questions, first what technique would work best for creating sketches for each part and making sure they all fit together?  Here is a link to the picture off all the parts: All Parts Picture  and 2) Basically the tabs are a repeating structure, is there a way to programically tell inventor to repeat structure to fit sides? 

Tab Patterns:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Anything-Using-Acrylic-and-Machine-Sc/?ALLSTEPS

Employee
Xun.Zhang
Message 2 of 4 (315 Views)

Re: How would you design a box like this with lots of tabs?

10-23-2012 12:00 AM in reply to: autodesk

Hi,

Thanks for your poster, I did investigation on the issue you've post, and I think iPart could support for the situation, please refer the attachment for the case 1 (M3x10) and case 2 (M3x16), please have a try for the same iPart rule for the case 3 (6mm Sheet stock/ M3x16).

The Tabs listed in the Table node, hopefully it's the one you desired.

Xun Zhang
Software QA Engineer
Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Active Contributor
autodesk
Message 3 of 4 (265 Views)

10-23-2012 11:43 AM in reply to: Xun.Zhang

I don't think iParts will allow me to automatically duplicate the design to fit different size parts.  From doing some more reading, it seems like what I need to do is make Sketch Blocks with the patterns.  What do you think?

Employee
NicolasXu
Message 4 of 4 (223 Views)

10-23-2012 08:11 PM in reply to: autodesk

Hi, 

I'm thinking there might be two approaches matching the requirements, and depend on what level of flexibility you want to have and the real design specification.

•  Multi body technology + sketch block
  •  Multi body technology + iFeature

What's your opinion? 

Thanks,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.