Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you design a box like this with lots of tabs?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
autodesk
547 Views, 3 Replies

How would you design a box like this with lots of tabs?

I would like to use inventor 2013 to create boxes as described at Inventables which contains acrylic pieces with tabs on each side that fit together like a puzzle.  So 2 questions, first what technique would work best for creating sketches for each part and making sure they all fit together?  Here is a link to the picture off all the parts: All Parts Picture  and 2) Basically the tabs are a repeating structure, is there a way to programically tell inventor to repeat structure to fit sides? 

Tab Patterns:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Anything-Using-Acrylic-and-Machine-Sc/?ALLSTEPS

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: autodesk

Hi,

Thanks for your poster, I did investigation on the issue you've post, and I think iPart could support for the situation, please refer the attachment for the case 1 (M3x10) and case 2 (M3x16), please have a try for the same iPart rule for the case 3 (6mm Sheet stock/ M3x16).

The Tabs listed in the Table node, hopefully it's the one you desired.

Xun
Message 3 of 4
autodesk
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

I don't think iParts will allow me to automatically duplicate the design to fit different size parts.  From doing some more reading, it seems like what I need to do is make Sketch Blocks with the patterns.  What do you think?

Message 4 of 4
NicolasXu
in reply to: autodesk

Hi, 

I'm thinking there might be two approaches matching the requirements, and depend on what level of flexibility you want to have and the real design specification.

•  Multi body technology + sketch block
  •  Multi body technology + iFeature

What's your opinion? 

Thanks,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report