Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use "Feature patern select" while creating a Patern

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
SophieSmith
1200 Views, 11 Replies

how to use "Feature patern select" while creating a Patern

Hi,

How is it possible to use "Feature Pattern Select'' to make the Pattern a want in an assembly?

Tryed to see in the Inventor help but can't see anyting...

Thanks!

Sophie

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: SophieSmith

To an extent. You can only pattern features that are created at the assembly level.

If you select the 3D Model tab, you do have the function to create a sketch and a few features at the assembly level. You can then pattern these features.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
SophieSmith
in reply to: blair

Could you show me a small example?

Sophie

Message 4 of 12
blair

I can't send you a model because I am on IV2014.

Open a Assembly, then click on the 3D Model tab, create a sketch on one of the faces of the model and place a "center-mark" for a hole. Then use the feature tool to create the hole through all the parts in the model (use the through-all command). The select the Pattern command, select the hole from the Assembly Model browser (it will be at the top of the parts list), then select a edge for the direction.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 12
blair

Open Assembly and select the 3D Model Tab and create Sketch on a surface:

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 12
harco

As Blair has shown you can't use part feature patterns to drive assembly feature patterns.

On the other hand if you mean component patterns then you will need features in a part created as a pattern.

The part feature pattern can then be used to place components at every part feature in the pattern.

Typical example is a part as a circular flange with a pattern of holes.

In the assembly you only need to place one bolt then you can use the part feature pattern to place all the bolts in the other holes.

It's very handy, if you change the number of holes then the number of bolts automatically updates.

Have look here.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0460-Assembli460/0461-Build_as46...

>Procedures

>>Create circular patterns of components

>>Associate component patterns with feature patterns

>>Create rectangular patterns of components

>>Associate component patterns with feature patterns

1. Create holes in part as feature pattern.

2. In assembly place bolt in first hole in the pattern.

3. Create component pattern.

4. Select bolt.

5. Hover the mouse over one of the holes while in feature pattern tab, the hole pattern should highlight (sometimes a little fiddly).

6. Select the highlighted hole pattern and the bolts should appear.

Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 12
JDMather

"Feature Pattern Select'' to make the Pattern a want in an assembly?

See Tip #46 here http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

to pattern a component in your assembly you need a part level feature pattern to select.  This pattern can exist only as Workpoints if desired.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 12
SophieSmith
in reply to: JDMather

Hi guys,

I have been reading and trying to use your helps, but I just can't get any thing writen in the section "Feature Pattern Select'' !

(I have sent a picture).

Thanks again.

Sophie

Message 9 of 12
IgorMir

Hi Sophie,

Why do you want to see anything written in that box? If the part has some pattern in it (holes, for example) - then click on arrow and select that pattern by pointing to the part in the assembly. That's all.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 10 of 12
blair

Your picture shows you in the IAM assemble and you have selected the Pattern Component. If this is what you want, then simply selecting the item, either in the model window or browser window will allow you to continue

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: IgorMir

You might go to Modeling View rather than Assembly View and the feature pattern at the part level will then appear in the browser when you expand the part node.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 12
SophieSmith
in reply to: blair

Thanks Blair and everyone that tryed to help.

Now i understand; only if the part has some pattern in it,  then I can use the same patern with "Feature patern select" while creating a Patern in the assembly.

Thanks!

Sophie

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report