Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Inventor2010 with Inventor2009 or Autocad2010 with Inventor2009

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
stuckinahole
362 Views, 10 Replies

How to use Inventor2010 with Inventor2009 or Autocad2010 with Inventor2009

Hi,

I'm stuck with an infuriating problem.   I currently have both Inventor 2009 and 2010 on my work computer, as well as ACAD 2010.  The rest of my office, to include my boss, uses 2009.  We recently got a project and were dissemenated some ACAD files to pull into inventor.  I started making my parts in I10, just to realize that they were no good because no one else could use them.  So I closed it and opened I09.  Now I cannot paste sketches from ACAD10 to I09 !!!  I know this is a for-profit company but licensing products to insure people don't pirate them isn't the same as strangling your customer base out of work for a few extra thousands of dollars, year after year!  THIS IS INFURIATING!!!!  MAKE YOUR MONEY WHILE YOU CAN, AUTODESK, BUT ONE DAY THERE WILL BE AN OPEN-SOURCE OPTION THAT COMPETES AND WE WILL LEAVE YOU SO FAST YOUR HEAD SPINS!

Back at the task at hand, does anyone know a work-around?  I need help so not to pull out the remainder of my hair.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
harco
in reply to: stuckinahole

You should be able to save Acad back as far as 2004 LT if you need to.

Then you can import to Inventor.

Autodesk did restrict saving back Acad to old versions for a while but you should be able to now.

I do regularly.

Message 3 of 11
stuckinahole
in reply to: harco

Thank you for showing me that.  However, it still does not allow me to copy a sketch from ACAD10 to I09, regardless of how I save the file.  When I was working earlier (making parts that all had to be scrapped), it was a simple matter of ctrl+c, move over to inventor's sketching environment, ctrl+v.  Instantly, I was able to revolve complex geometries and was able to work efficiently.  Now, it was decided that that did not put enough cash in Autodesk's pocket, so they hampered their own software.  Bizarre world.

But again, thanks for pointing that save technique out.  If anyone else feels they have a workaround, please post!

Message 4 of 11
scottmoyse

if you have Inventor 2010 models and need them in Inventor 2009, you can save copy as a sat file, and then import into 2009. If you play with the import settings it will seperate the 'bodie' into parts and 1 top level assembly. You can then format each part to your liking. If you want to regain some inventor intelligence you can try to use feature recognition.

I feel for you, however, the versioning issue of Autodesks with Inventor has been around for donkeys years. Their actual excuse if that the software versions have new features which aren't available in older versions hence its very difficult to make the file types backward compatible. 

This problem extends to Vault. If you upgrade your version of Inventor you have to upgrade your seats of vault as well. For example, vault 2011 won't handle inventor 2012 files. I think the vault side of things is a scam, they should just release an update for the prior version of vault to support the later file type for inventor. They should have more confidence people will want to upgrade vault to the next version for the new features, and not because they have to because they want the latest version of Inventor.

I won't be upgrading my office to the 2012 suite until I know both vault and inventor 2012 are stable enough, if one of them is we can't use the other. Although Vault 2012 will support Inventor 2011 file types.

All a crock really! Also the licensing for Vault sucks. Why do all of the seats have to be professional when only a few of them will ever use the features available in pro. I know its the database that requires it, but only because Autodesk have designed it that way! I want to use the basic free vault to check files in and out of a proffesional server database. 

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 11
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: scottmoyse

Actually ALL of the feature based modelers have this issue, not just Inventor. Stop picking on Autodesk.

Any Inventor of the same version can open a file created in Inventor Pro. When using the license manager, the pro features are only active when a user is actually using them, otherwise you are just using the base Inventor. All of the licenses available do not have to be pro licenses.

If your reseller sold all pro seats when they were not needed, then I'd be complaining. Yes, if installed as Pro seats, they are capable of activating and using pro features IF a pro license is unused. Otherwise they are base Inventor, even if your header states Pro.

@scottmoyse wrote:

I feel for you, however, the versioning issue of Autodesks with Inventor has been around for donkeys years. Their actual excuse if that the software versions have new features which aren't available in older versions hence its very difficult to make the file types backward compatible. 

All a crock really! Also the licensing for Vault sucks. Why do all of the seats have to be professional when only a few of them will ever use the features available in pro. I know its the database that requires it, but only because Autodesk have designed it that way! I want to use the basic free vault to check files in and out of a proffesional server database. 

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 6 of 11
scottmoyse
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Dennis,

I wasn't picking on Autodesk! I shouldn't have used the word excuse. I would rather they don't support backwards compatibility because its more likely they will end up with stable software then trying to put even more code in to support newer file versions in older software. However, there may be an argument for including a save as older version feature.

I also think you should re read what i posted because i never said anything about opening files between standard inventor and pro. I was talking about the licensing of Vault. The vault licenses should behave in the same way as the Inventor standard to pro licenses do, instead of every vault seat needing to be pro, if the server database is pro.

Some people, including myself at times, are quick to criticise autodesk, you however, seem to have a habit of being quick to criticise others. I do however, respect your knowledge and commitement to helping people on these forums.

cheers

Scott

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 7 of 11
harco

If ctrl c worked for ACAD 2010 to Inv2010 then possibly it should work from ACAD 2009 to Inv 2009.

Try opening Acad in in 2009 and copying over, this is what I had in mind when I mentioned saving back.

If this doesn't work you should still be able to import the Acad geometry in the sketch environment.

This is slightly different than ctrl c and a few more clicks but it should give what you want.

Import 2d into Inventor

Autocad import.PNG

Message 8 of 11
petercharles

We made a rule many years ago, EVERYONE in the office uses the same version of Inventor.

The only exception is when evaluating a new version on a stand alone PC.

Message 9 of 11
stuckinahole

I feel like this is an issue of Autodesks lawyers thinking they're every bit as clever as their software engineers, and has nothing to do with their software engineers not being smart enough to figure out a small issue like a backwards compatability window of 2 or so years to allow offices to migrate.  To say that Autodesks Software Engineers are clever enough to put out Inventor but not clever enough to figure out a simple feature that every other software company on the planet deals with regularly is rediculous.  How many other programs out there have as many regular releases, add new features, so forth, and never have a problem including a save as feature which allows for some backwards compatability?  Heck, even my Nintendo Wii plays Gamecube disks, and they're not even the same size!

Again, I thank everyone for posting work-arounds.  I have Autocad 09 on my computer as well, but our IT guy is out of town and I cannot track down our license to enable it.  Having Acad09, Acad10, I09, and I10 would be the best solution to our office's dilemma.

Message 10 of 11
harco

I agree with you on back save, it does come down to $$$.

Obviously you can't save a new feature to an old version but it wouldn't take much to run some code to see if the model is constructed from basic features which have existed from the first version e.g. extrude, revolve...

A simple warning saying new feature can't be produced in older versions would be accepted by most folk who would say fair enough and then re-model their part.

Word does it, Excel does it and we accept the loss if we are happy with it.

I have heard mention that newer versions are completely different kernel from previous ones, I mean, come on, do you think the software guys re-write ~5GB (or however big Inventor is now) of code every year. Sympathetic rant over!

If you can run Inventor 2009 you should be able to run Acad 2009 under the same licence, they are normally loaded as a bundle of programs.

Message 11 of 11
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: scottmoyse

Just to clarify:

Vault Professional (or any other version of Vault) supports the current Inventor version and one Inventor version back as .

Yes, you need the Vault Pro client on every seat if you are running Vault Pro. This is because the database in every flavor of Vault is different.

I'm blunt, not being critical. I'm dealing with facts here.

Just because you can save AutoCAD back to earlier versions does not mean you can do this with parametric, feature based solid modeler.

@scottmoyse wrote:

Dennis,

I also think you should re read what i posted because i never said anything about opening files between standard inventor and pro. I was talking about the licensing of Vault. The vault licenses should behave in the same way as the Inventor standard to pro licenses do, instead of every vault seat needing to be pro, if the server database is pro.

Some people, including myself at times, are quick to criticise autodesk, you however, seem to have a habit of being quick to criticise others. I do however, respect your knowledge and commitement to helping people on these forums.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report