Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to unfold taper cylinder?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
kmteh
2652 Views, 8 Replies

How to unfold taper cylinder?

Hi Expert

May I how how do I unfold /flatten this taper cylinder to 2D view for CNC programming?

Please advise also if MDT 2009 has the function to do this. If not how can I do it with Autodesk Inventor.

Many Thanks.

Regards

KM  

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: kmteh

You will need to model as 3 parts (5 total if the ends are not the same) in Inventor.

MDT does not have sheet metal functionality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
johnteng00

hi guys,

here is the solution:

a. download smartunfold from solid3dtech.com

b. explode the solid into surfaces.

c. using smartunfold to unfold each piecese.

any problems, just ask for support from solid3dtech.

john

Message 4 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: johnteng00

Don't need any third party software. 

Inventor will handle this problem just fine.

Just for fun - post your solution to the problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
BMiller63

See attached examples.

These are both modeled as a single part and will produce a flat pattern.

The variations are how the holes are handled (probably only one is correct, but I provide both for comparison)

These files are Inventor 2010 files.

Message 6 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: BMiller63

Don't look like valid solutions to me.

Measure flat.
Measure loop at smaller cylinder.  More than 2.75 difference in circumference layed flat?

Might stretch the larger cylinders from that flat, but compress the smaller?

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
BMiller63
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

I don't claim them to be accurate to a certain forming/manufacturing process (none of that information was provided), but I think the 2.75" is because of the forming method used. I just used the default Unroll Method of Centroid Cylinder, using the Developed Length option is probably the more realistic way to go?

Feel free to offer suggestions on which method would be best (based off of your experince), I was just offering a modeling method. In real life, I'd have to have a conversation with whomever I was going to source this with, before creating anything accurate.

Message 8 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: BMiller63

To me this is an Inventor fantasy part when created using Contoured Roll feature.

Others have pointed out similar fantasies.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
BMiller63
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

To me this is an Inventor fantasy part when created using Contoured Roll feature.

Others have pointed out similar fantasies.

it very well could be, again in real life I'd find that out when I spoke to a forming house and they said: "yeah, right! We can't do this." or "Well, we can do it, but we'll have to build some tooling, how many of these are you going to need made?"

It's that last part that often sends us back to the drawing board. A quote that includes custom tooling may be worth it if we're needing 10,000 pcs, but not for just 100 pcs.

I've sent some Inventor fantasy parts out for quote, and see no shame in doing so. There are many manufacturing processes that I have only a general understanding of, that I deal with on only a semi-regular basis. In those cases, I speak with vendors, they make suggestions, etc. Most often, if I can give them a drawing from a model like the one I've posted here, they'll use it to move forward, but the released revision model and drawing come from an "as built".

Of course that's not the way we were taught that it works when we were in school, but that's how it often works in real life!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report