Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup a connector assembly

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
eddy
311 Views, 2 Replies

How to setup a connector assembly

I have a assembly from a connector with pins and seals in it. I'm going to use this assembly alot in my harnesses, so I want to make with some more intellect. I could use some idea's on wich paths I can take. The things that are different all the time are the used terminals and seals and cavity plugs. This is the complete assembly

complete_assembly.png

exploded.png

The parts 1 and 5 are always there. The parts 2 and 4 are always used together when a connection is used. If 2 and 4 are not used then the hole will be filled with part 4. There are in total 10 holes that needs to filled up.

So there are alot of different combinations possible depending on where it is used. At the end what counts is that the BOM is showing the correct number of used parts. 

Wich path should I take? iLogic? iAssembly? Or just suppres the parts i dont need in the main assembly?

Looking forward to hear your idea's

Greetings,
E. Peter

Autodesk Inventor Ultimate 2012
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: eddy

Hi eddy,

I think iAssemblies are perfect for this. You'd create an assembly with all of the contacts populated for both contact types. You'd end up with 20 of the type 4's, and 10 of the type 2's (essentially doubled up). Then you'd configure the iAssembly to include/exclude only the ones needed, using the Exclusion tab.

If the goal is to have the connector shell and the contacts show in the BOM of your cable, then you'd probably want to make the iAssembly a Phantom BOM structured component (Tools tab > Document Settings > BOM tab) so that it doesn't list in the BOM. 

If iAssemblies don't work due to the way the files are saved out or for some other reasons, you could do this with iLogic too.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 3
eddy
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Curtis,

Thank you for your reply. My apologies for my late reply, I was away from the office. I'll start with the iAssembly. I'll post my findings when I have them. But I have to get some other work done first. Thanks again.

Greetings,
E. Peter

Autodesk Inventor Ultimate 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report