Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set up model and paper space

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ggautam
3256 Views, 7 Replies

how to set up model and paper space

Hi, I am new user of Autodesk inventor but had good experience with AutoCAD. I am trying to draw something of size more than 10 feet in Autodesk inventor (.dwg ) but I cannot set up my space. I can change the size of the sheet. All I can do is to create the custom sheet size of 10' by 10' which is very unelegent way of approaching this problem.

Please suggest.

Thank you in advancce

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: ggautam

In Inventor you generally set up your sheet size to a standard size (such as a 24 x 36 "D"), and then scale the model appropriately as you place your views on the sheet.  There is no "model space" vs "paper space" like in AutoCad.

Message 3 of 8
ggautam
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks for the reply. I can right click the sheet name and set the paper size but I cannot find the tab where I can set the scale. I tried right click Sheet:1> Base  View which brings me to the "Drawing View" display box where it seems I can set up the scale. The problem is, I cannot get any further because I cannot get ok button to unfreeze. Can you please explain how to set up the scale for a drawing?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 8
Mike_Maenpaa

@ggautam wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I can right click the sheet name and set the paper size but I cannot find the tab where I can set the scale. I tried right click Sheet:1> Base  View which brings me to the "Drawing View" display box where it seems I can set up the scale. The problem is, I cannot get any further because I cannot get ok button to unfreeze. Can you please explain how to set up the scale for a drawing?

Thank you.

It sounds like you're trying to do a 2D sketch in the IDW, so that it is scaled to fit on the sheet. Inventor is not AutoCAD

The usual workflow in Inventor is to create a full scale 3D model of your part or assembly and place a Base View at the desired scale on the sheet.

It would be best if you go through the tutorials after pressing the F1 key.

Mike

Message 5 of 8
msklein

I think this might help : IV is not Autocad,  now repeat it.  Honestly  the best thing you can do is forget everything you learned about Acad. They are not the same and the faster you learn the thought process of IV the better off you will be.

When you place your view on your format pick your scale, its in the lower left hand corner of the dialog box. Also check out the tutorials on line.

msk

Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: msklein

Actually all of this works pretty much the same as in AutoCAD, except, you do it more like the real world in Inventor where there are two files. (one for the 3d part - just like the real world, and one for the sheet of paper on which the views representing the 3d part are placed at convenient scale - just like the real world.

So

in Inventor think of your ipt file as model space

and your dwg (or idw) file as paper space.

You place views of your ipt (model space) in your dwg (or idw) paperspace at desired scale.
You can change the scale at any time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
kstate92

If it's long and skinny, with long stretches devoid of details, you could look into adding Breaks to help fit the view(s) onto the drawing.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 8 of 8
JDMather

@ggautam wrote:

size more than 10 feet in Autodesk inventor  

I missed this part of your description.
Post your ipt and dwg here and someone will demonstrate how to do Breaks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report