Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

jp.hadden
Message 11 of 17 (1,853 Views)

Re: How to print 2d sketch?

07-06-2012 09:15 AM in reply to: elucero

Thanks for the advice people.  I have also been having this problem.  I may be crazy but surely the whole point of designing something in this fancy program is so that someone will build it at the end - how the hell they are supposed to do that if they can't easily print out sketches from the models is anybodies guess. 

As a recent user of this program and CAD in general I guess i' might be missing something but I feel it's a severe limitation if you can't print out a decent plan to bring down to the workshop.

*Pro
sbixler
Message 12 of 17 (1,836 Views)

07-09-2012 03:54 AM in reply to: jp.hadden

The workflow in Inventor, as well as in most (all?) other 3D modelers, is to create the model (3D), then create drawings to document the model (2D).  In Inventor, the 3D model is created from a series of 2D sketches that are revolved, extruded, swept, lofted, etc. and modified with holes, fillets, chamfers, drafts, etc.  Then create a drawing (.idw or .dwg) and place various views of your model and annotate them.

This is a very old thread that you're replying to, and the software has changed a bit since then.  Unless you're using version 8.0 or less, you might want to ask your question in a new thread.  Model sketches now can be displayed in drawings, and if the only thing in your model is a sketch, that is automatically displayed when you create a view normal to the sketch.  Oh, and be sure to let us know what version of the software you are using.

jp.hadden
Message 13 of 17 (1,830 Views)

07-09-2012 04:49 AM in reply to: sbixler

Thanks for the reply.

I am working with Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 (but the 'student licence' version of the professional)

I've followed on from this thread - since I googled "how to print 2d sketch" in the first place.  Probably this thread is where i would end up again if I was still looking.

I made some revolutions of a 2D schetch to make a 3d sketch of what are effectively a set of spools, with groves etc cut into them.  Clearly the 2D sketch  defining the cross section that I made to originally revolve into the 3d sketch are the definition of the shape I need to create in real life.  My question is - what is the best way to export them to some sort of printable format. 

If I expand the revolution, open the sketch, and then click export it pops back to the model view.

If I write click on the sketch there is an option to export, although when i have opened the dwg file that is created, it simply is a black outline - without any of the dimensions on it - which is what i've spent the time defining.

I followed the advice earlier in this thread about copying the sketch and dumping it into another drawing, which works. kind of.... -but clearly this is a bit of an inefficient and un-joined up  way of doing it.  Copying and pasting graphics around reminds me of using paint.  My question is what is the proper way of doing it....

(and question part B - for lazy people like me who simply want a screen shot of the 2D drawing output to a picture\pdf file what is the easy way of doing it within Inventor - without having to create another file for each sketch - are there some options I've missed.)

Thanks,

JP

Valued Mentor
RayFeiler
Message 14 of 17 (1,825 Views)

07-09-2012 05:26 AM in reply to: jp.hadden

Create a IDW or Inventor DWG 2D drawing of your 3D part. Make sure the sketch you wish to see is normal to the view you create. Right click on the view in the browser and select Retrieve Dimensions and then click on Selcet Dimensions. Select the dimensions you wish to retrieve.

Retrieve Dims.png

Select Dims.png

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014 64-Bit

Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Valued Mentor
RayFeiler
Message 15 of 17 (1,821 Views)

07-09-2012 05:35 AM in reply to: jp.hadden

From the 3D model go to Application Options Colors tab and select Presentation then click on Apply. Make your sketch visible and normal to the display then click on the print icon.

Presentation.png

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014 64-Bit

Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
*Pro
sbixler
Message 16 of 17 (1,818 Views)

07-09-2012 05:45 AM in reply to: jp.hadden

An Inventor Drawing is the way to document a design.  The drawing can be either a .idw or .dwg format.  Create a new drawing file, then place a base view of your model.  Then place projected views from the base view.

Now use the tools on the Annotations tab to annotate it.

I strongly discourage dimensioning your model sketches as if they are drawings.  Many times the design intent, captured in the modeling process, is not the same as the manufacturing/fabrication dimensions that are needed in the drawing.  Modeling symmetrically around the centerline of a part is good modeling practice, but in most cases it's not good drawing practice to dimension to a symmetry line which doesn't actually exist as a feature.

jp.hadden
Message 17 of 17 (1,802 Views)

07-09-2012 02:21 PM in reply to: sbixler

Thanks for the advice everyone!

JP

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.