Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to/possible to view the real equation of a driven dimension?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
maynyrd
681 Views, 3 Replies

How to/possible to view the real equation of a driven dimension?

I have a rough, but fully contrained, sketch I did of a pretty basic pully system where I need to find the tangent angle of the tag line as it contacts the fairlead in the system. I contrained the drawing up to this point with known dimensions, and established this last need-to-know dimension as a driven one. Using Parameters under the Manage tab, I see the "equation" for this driven, or reference, dimension, is still basically just the nominal value. Is there a way to peak under the hood and view the math that Inventor used to get this value so that I may adapt it to find the angle based on the position of the end of the tag line?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: maynyrd

Isn't that basic trig?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Right-Angled-Trigonometry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
cwhetten
in reply to: maynyrd

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The answer to your question is no.  There is no way to see how Inventor is calculating the value of a driven dimension.

If you want an equation, you'll have to derive it yourself.

You can post your part here (or somehow give us all of the geometry) and someone might offer to derive it for you.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 4 of 4
maynyrd
in reply to: cwhetten

Hi thank you! Thats sort of a bummer it could be handy. I'm Inventor would probably calculate them differently anyway. I've done it by hand and mapped it with a best fit polynomial, but I was hoping to be a little more exact than that.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report