Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Offset Assembly Surfaces

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Cadmanto
2931 Views, 4 Replies

How to Offset Assembly Surfaces

I have an assembly that I am trying to offset surfaces from other components

to create a different part.  I have this part inserted into the assembly (only planes and axis exist on this part for now).

When I try to edit it in the assembly, and select "Copy Construction" from the surfaces menu it will not select the surfaces I need.  First is this the correct command?  This looked like the closest to an offset surface command.

If not, what is the correct command?

I should also add that this assembly has welds in it, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Cadmanto

Sounds like Derived Component would be better technique

or

edit new part within context of assembly and Copy Object as surface and then Thicken/Offset.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD.

If you read what I wrote I am trying to edit the part within the assembly which is a derived part.  Smiley Happy

What you suggested regarding the copy object is working.  That is what I was looking for.  Prior to using that

command I was not allowed to select any of the surfaces from the other components.  Now I need to figure out a way to

select the weld surfaces.  Any ideas on that one?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 5
Cadmanto

Figured out the weld issue.  Just did a revolved surface in those areas within my surface part.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 5
ampster401

@Cadmanto wrote:

Thanks JD.

If you read what I wrote I am trying to edit the part within the assembly which is a derived part.  Smiley Happy

Adaptivity is what would usually happen when you edit parts within an assembly, not derived.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report