Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move parts around in Assembly and leave Place Constraint window open?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
rdburton
1866 Views, 4 Replies

How to move parts around in Assembly and leave Place Constraint window open?

I've given up looking for an answer to this question so I appologize if I missed it.  When I'm in the process of constraining several parts in an assembly, often I need to move a part.  But I have to close the Place Constraint panel so I can move the part, then restart the constraint function.  Is there a way to "suspend" the constraint function, by holding down a key for example?

I'm using Inventor 2015.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CCarreiras
in reply to: rdburton

Hi!

No, you have to think of that before you start the tool.

But you have lot's of tools to give you good conditions to aplly constrains, like the tools: Move , rotate, isolate...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
rdburton
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks for the response.

Sometimes, when applying a constraint, the parts will move to where you've applied the constraint, which is expected.  However, this may not be their final position especially when several constraints on several facets of a part will be applied individually to move or constrain a part into it's final position.  Thus, a part may move upon one constraint that requires me to grab it, move it to where I can apply the next constraint, be it a surface, edge, whatever.  This requires you to have to close the Constraint panel, move a part, re-open the panel, apply a constraint which again moves the part to where you don't want it, close the panel, move the part, apply a third constraint, etc.  You can see where this gets tedious.  I'm getting more clever about applying a constraint or joint option in a particular way to achieve a mating with one click, but it requires one to "dig deep" into facets of mating parts to see where they can be mated in one click and to zoom in to make sure mating points don't accidentally move - this too can get tedious.   Sometimes I just want to mate say 3 surfaces really quick to see how an assembly comes together without having to close the Constraint panel or maybe without the part moving.  Maybe a method of "ganging" constraints with an Accept button (which highlights the mating position) then applying them all at once with Apply or OK.

I understand what you're saying but I think what you're referring to is a single constraint operation or always being able to constrain/join parts with a single click (which I'm working on).  It's probably more of a workflow problem on my end and I'll get it sorted since I couldn't really find anyone else mentioning this issue.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 5
blair

You may look at something like a 3D Motion control mouse (3D Connexion). You can program the buttons for specific commands, makes working in IV much easier. Been using them for over 10 years.  

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 5
mcgyvr

@rdburton wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Sometimes, when applying a constraint, the parts will move to where you've applied the constraint, which is expected.  However, this may not be their final position especially when several constraints on several facets of a part will be applied individually to move or constrain a part into it's final position.  Thus, a part may move upon one constraint that requires me to grab it, move it to where I can apply the next constraint, be it a surface, edge, whatever.  This requires you to have to close the Constraint panel, move a part, re-open the panel, apply a constraint which again moves the part to where you don't want it, close the panel, move the part, apply a third constraint, etc.  You can see where this gets tedious.  I'm getting more clever about applying a constraint or joint option in a particular way to achieve a mating with one click, but it requires one to "dig deep" into facets of mating parts to see where they can be mated in one click and to zoom in to make sure mating points don't accidentally move - this too can get tedious.   Sometimes I just want to mate say 3 surfaces really quick to see how an assembly comes together without having to close the Constraint panel or maybe without the part moving.  Maybe a method of "ganging" constraints with an Accept button (which highlights the mating position) then applying them all at once with Apply or OK.

I understand what you're saying but I think what you're referring to is a single constraint operation or always being able to constrain/join parts with a single click (which I'm working on).  It's probably more of a workflow problem on my end and I'll get it sorted since I couldn't really find anyone else mentioning this issue.

Thanks again.

In this situation you can "start" to constrain it but keep holding your left mouse button down as you are picking your first constaint element.. Then you can then drag/move it around. Sometimes then you can just apply the second part of the constraint or simply hit the first selection arrow again and pick your desired first selection.. 

I do that all the time..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report