Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Modify a part without updating linked parts/assemblies/drawings?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
design
407 Views, 3 Replies

How to Modify a part without updating linked parts/assemblies/drawings?

Hello,

I'm guessing this is possibly an easy question to answer. Most likely with a straight "No, you can't", but I'll ask anyway!

I have several parts which I wish to modify, but, those modifications are only being done to get some prototypes made. I do not want the changed (non-approved part) to be used in current issue drawings, assemblies etc. until I have proven the modifications and am happy with them.

I can do this by doing a save as on the part and could just replace the previous design, but then I lose the history of changes/revisions shown in Vault which is critical to me and part of using vault in the first place.

Is there any around this or am I missing something bleedin' obvious?

Thanks for any help

Bob

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: design

I think, if it were me, I'd leave the approved part and drawings alone.  Do a "save as" or copy design if you're talking about an assembly.  I would give the new part file a different name and/or part number, something to differentiate it as a prototype.  Create a new drawing for it, or do a save as on your approved drawing and "replace model geometry" on the prototype version.... to show your modified model.  That way there is no chance (or little chance,,... can't rule out human error) of mixing them up.

Message 3 of 4

Bob,

Are you using basic Vault or one of the higher versions such as Vault WorkGroups?

If basic Vault then I'm sure you understand that you only have version control and not Revision control???

If you have say, WorkGroups, the file should be in a "prototype" state until released for production thus solving your situation a bit.

But if you have basic Vault, I think the easiest thing you can do is to suppress the features you have for the prototype.

Not knowing if you're going to build the prototype by drawing or by model, this process might be the quickest and easiest way to do what you need for the time being. There are other ways, but they might be a bit cumbersome to explian here real quick. Sorry, it's been a while since I've had to attempt this process so I'm sure others may have other ideas.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 4 of 4
design
in reply to: design

I only have Vault basic currently. I quite like the idea of just suppressing the new features until I'm ready to release. Not perfect but I can see that it's my best option without upgrading Vault.

Many thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums