Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Mirror, Join & Loft correctly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1385 Views, 6 Replies

How to Mirror, Join & Loft correctly

Hello, i'm a beginner in Inventor, need your advice.

I simply draw the spline curve, which will be mirrored (pict.1),

1.jpg

Then I need to create more curves in same way on other workplanes, and loft.

But when I loft, I have no normal result (pict.2). Loft selects only half of the side, how to join two curves?

2.jpg

3.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

It is generally poor practice to mirror spline curves (did you examine the curvature comb?).

A better technique is to mirror points and the create your spline across the plane of symmetry.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%206.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

No, I didn't.
OK, I'll continue to experiment.
Message 4 of 7
JDMather

If you attach the ipt file from your original post - I can show you how I would have inspected the geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

File

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

You are missing constraints and dimensions - your sketches should show as fully constrained in lower right corner of screen while in sketching environment.

In particular - for some reason your sketch is not constrained to the origin - this should be automatic.

Turning on Curvature Display

Display Curvature.png

Adjusting Curvature Comb display - notice the cross-over of the comb at mirror.

You could have added a Tangent constraint, but I recommend that you create fully dimensioned sketch points (or construction lines) on one side and then mirror to the other side.  Then create your spline across the points.

Setup Curvature Display.png

If at any time your sketch does not turn dark (fully constrained) and you cannot figure out why - I recommend you attach the file here and ask questions.

This is what I might expect to see for a spline sketch - notice the geometry has turned dark indicating fully constrained.

Spline Sketch.png

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Where can I find the car body.ipt that you meantion in your tutourial so I can follow along? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report