Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manually change c.g. location?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
nsulli15
526 Views, 2 Replies

How to manually change c.g. location?

I need to manually overide the weight and location of the c.g. inside a parts iproperties.  I know how to overide the weight, but I do not know how to manually overide and modify the location of the c.g.

Does anyone know how to do this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
swalton
in reply to: nsulli15

I think you will have to trick IV a bit.  The CG of parts depends on the density (or mass override) and the shape of the part. 

If you want to move the CG without changing the part shape, try this:

1. Set the part mass as small as you can.

2. Place the part in an assembly. Ground it.

3. Make a new part (name CG adjuster?). create a cube in the part and set its dimensions to somthing small compared to your part from step 1.

4. Set the mass of the CG adjuster part to the correct mass of the orginal part.

5. Place the CG adjuster part in the Step 2 assembly.  Create constraints to the part and move it to match the desired CG of the Step 1 part.

6. Set the assembly to inseperable in its document settings. I think that this will hide the components of this assembly in any upper level assembly BOM/Parts List.

7. Use this assembly in your upper level designs, not the part in step 1.

There may also be a multi-solid body workflow, but i have not tried it.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 3
nsulli15
in reply to: swalton

Thank you. I think this is a good solution.

Nick Sullivan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report