Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make xy plane top view

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
glennd
613 Views, 7 Replies

How to make xy plane top view

Out of curiosity how do you set the XY plane as the top view.
When we bring a part into a idw the XY plane is set to front view. It messes with my CAM software because one of the guys builds his parts so top view comes in as top view. I have to reorient so the machining can be done correctly then I lose all of the tapping and tolerance data.

Thanks
Glenn Davina
Jeld-Wen Engineering
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: glennd

Start your models on the XZ plane. This can be set default in the Tools>Application Options>Part(tab). glennd wrote: > Out of curiosity how do you set the XY plane as the top view. > When we bring a part into a idw the XY plane is set to front view. It messes with my CAM software because one of the guys builds his parts so top view comes in as top view. I have to reorient so the machining can be done correctly then I lose all of the tapping and tolerance data. > > Thanks > Glenn Davina > Jeld-Wen Engineering -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.4472 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Glenn: I'm assuming what you're trying to ask is as follows: 1/ if I stood behind you while you are at your desk and saw a sheet of paper lying on your desk, I would assume (through many years of training) that the X and Y axes are on the sheet of paper and Z is normal to the sheet, IOW pointing at the ceiling. 2/ If there was a large piece of glass mounted upright on your desk, in my line of sight to the sheet of paper, I would assume the same orientation. 3/ If that piece of glass was the computer monitor and I was looking at a model of that sheet of paper lying on a model of your desk, I would expect X to point toward the lower right, Y toward the upper right and Z straight up toward the ceiling. For some reason that has never been explained beyond "well, that's what the other solid modellers do", IV puts X where you'd expect it, Y where you'd expect Z and Z pointing toward the negative Y. If this is a summary of your question, the closest you can come to setting the world upright is to: 1/ Select the rotate button and free rotate your model until the axes are roughly where they should be according to conventions that mathematicians and engineers have used for several hundred years 2/ Pop up the common views cube by pressing the space bar 3/ Select the proper corner to fine tune the view point 4/ RMB and select Redefine Isometric. 5/ Do this for all of your templates. At least now your models will import into Autocad (you know, the program that paid the salaries for the IV developers to tilt everything onto its side) and into most other 3d program in the orientation they expect. Be warned, however, idw's have never seen any of the hundreds of text books out there, so your front view is actually spelled bottom and your top view seems to be spelled front and so on. If I've misunderstood the nature of your question, please forgive my rant because I fall way outside of the parameters specified in the thread titled: --/-<@ ====== Help Eror ======= @>-\-- Richard glennd wrote: > Out of curiosity how do you set the XY plane as the top view. > When we bring a part into a idw the XY plane is set to front view. It messes with my CAM software because one of the guys builds his parts so top view comes in as top view. I have to reorient so the machining can be done correctly then I lose all of the tapping and tolerance data. > > Thanks > Glenn Davina > Jeld-Wen Engineering
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Richard, Doesn't one of the Metric Templates have the "correct" orientation set-up out of the box? I thought the solution was to initially use one of the Iso templates and convert it. QBZ "Richard Hinterhoeller" wrote in message news:3fdfa04e$1_6@statler... > For some reason that has never been explained beyond "well, that's what > the other solid modellers do", IV puts X where you'd expect it, Y where > you'd expect Z and Z pointing toward the negative Y.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

What if you could see real far and his desk was in ... say ... Australia if you're in the Rhineland? ~Larry "Richard Hinterhoeller" wrote in message news:3fdfa04e$1_6@statler... > Glenn: > > I'm assuming what you're trying to ask is as follows: > > 1/ if I stood behind you while you are at your desk and saw a sheet of > paper lying on your desk, I would assume (through many years of > training) that the X and Y axes are on the sheet of paper and Z is > normal to the sheet, IOW pointing at the ceiling. > > 2/ If there was a large piece of glass mounted upright on your desk, in > my line of sight to the sheet of paper, I would assume the same orientation. > > 3/ If that piece of glass was the computer monitor and I was looking at > a model of that sheet of paper lying on a model of your desk, I would > expect X to point toward the lower right, Y toward the upper right and Z > straight up toward the ceiling. > > For some reason that has never been explained beyond "well, that's what > the other solid modellers do", IV puts X where you'd expect it, Y where > you'd expect Z and Z pointing toward the negative Y. > > If this is a summary of your question, the closest you can come to > setting the world upright is to: > > 1/ Select the rotate button and free rotate your model until the axes > are roughly where they should be according to conventions that > mathematicians and engineers have used for several hundred years > > 2/ Pop up the common views cube by pressing the space bar > > 3/ Select the proper corner to fine tune the view point > > 4/ RMB and select Redefine Isometric. > > 5/ Do this for all of your templates. > > At least now your models will import into Autocad (you know, the program > that paid the salaries for the IV developers to tilt everything onto its > side) and into most other 3d program in the orientation they expect. > > Be warned, however, idw's have never seen any of the hundreds of text > books out there, so your front view is actually spelled bottom and your > top view seems to be spelled front and so on. > > If I've misunderstood the nature of your question, please forgive my > rant because I fall way outside of the parameters specified in the > thread titled: > > --/-<@ ====== Help Eror ======= @>-\-- > > Richard > > > glennd wrote: > > Out of curiosity how do you set the XY plane as the top view. > > When we bring a part into a idw the XY plane is set to front view. It messes with my CAM software because one of the guys builds his parts so top view comes in as top view. I have to reorient so the machining can be done correctly then I lose all of the tapping and tolerance data. > > > > Thanks > > Glenn Davina > > Jeld-Wen Engineering >
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Quinn: It's a bit less work to redefine the isometric, otherwise you end up resetting all sorts of settings to use the imperial system. Changing the isometric viewpoint in the models and assemblies is the easy part and I certainly appreciate Autodesks effort there. The metric idw's I've tested, and I haven't tried them all, follow the newfangled orientation and I find that to be a let down. Maybe one of them actually does follow the Z up convention, in which case I'll gladly use it and forever get off this soap box. Richard Quinn Zander wrote: > Richard, > > Doesn't one of the Metric Templates have the "correct" orientation > set-up out of the box? > > I thought the solution was to initially use one of the Iso templates and > convert it. > > QBZ > > > "Richard Hinterhoeller" wrote in > message news:3fdfa04e$1_6@statler... > > >>For some reason that has never been explained beyond "well, that's > > what > >>the other solid modellers do", IV puts X where you'd expect it, Y > > where > >>you'd expect Z and Z pointing toward the negative Y. > > >
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Larry: I'm trying to book time on the Hubble telescope to try it. Too cloudy today though ;-) Richard Larry Caldwell wrote: > What if you could see real far and his desk was in ... say ... Australia if > you're in the Rhineland? > ~Larry
Message 8 of 8
glennd

Forgive my delay in answering back was called out of town.
You are correct in your assumptions.
Thanks for your help.
Glenn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report