Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make those angebars center themselves on the square tube?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
mailswamp
876 Views, 14 Replies

How to make those angebars center themselves on the square tube?

New Bitmap Image.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: mailswamp

Was the angle iron made with Extrude mid-plane (as logical)?
Then simply constraint Mate-Flush the appropriate origin workplanes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
mailswamp
in reply to: JDMather

I didn't extrude those angles from a center plane. Those angles are standard parts in the database. When you insert them, the inventor asks you how long you want them. Later, they can be extruded to a different length, but I didn't do that.

Message 4 of 15
Dennis_Jeffrey

Add a workpoint to th emidpoint of an edge. Then constrain to the workplane you have visible in your post. (Mate Point/Plane)

4-9-2011-NG000115.png

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 15
mailswamp
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

I am not given an option to constrain a point to a plane in the assembly. I am creating a center point but I cannot create dimensions in this environment to see the if the center point is really in the center. Visually it is not
Message 6 of 15
Dennis_Jeffrey

Sure you can.....  The workpoint will snap to the midpoint, whether in part or assembly mode.

http://teknigroup.com/Videos/2012Q2/createwkptinassyconstraint/createwkptinassyconstraint.html

@mailswamp wrote:
I am not given an option to constrain a point to a plane in the assembly. I am creating a center point but I cannot create dimensions in this environment to see the if the center point is really in the center. Visually it is not

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 7 of 15
mailswamp
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

The workpoint did snap to the midpoint, but how do I constrain a point to the plane?

That option is not evident in the constraint window. Somehow I got the point to center on the plane but the angle bar stayed in the same place. Also I cannot change the size of the plane.

The point that appeared to snap to the centor visually, can be visible on my drawing and it moved off center somehow. 

Message 8 of 15
moto748

When I create a rolled steel section from the Content Centre, I delete the Start Plane, End Plane, and Driven Length features (whilst unticking the "delete dependent sketches and features" tickbox).I then edit the Body Feature, changing the Extents field to Distance, and filling in an appropriate length. Depending on the application I usually set the mid-plane option too.

Message 9 of 15
mailswamp
in reply to: moto748

Maybe that can be done for the future angle bar parts but it appears that the developer team needs to look into this problem.

Message 10 of 15
zma1013

If you insert it as a custom part, you could just add the workplane within the part file itself.  All you have to do is choose workplane option and select the 2 side faces and it automatically places the workplane directly in the center of those faces, which is the center of the part.

Not sure why Autodesk chose to build them the way they did, they really should have made a workplane in the center already or generated it's length in both directions from the center.

I'd like to know an easy way to copy the family of angles in the CC and add my workplane to them instead of creating a custom part.  Would be great to just pull it from the CC with the workplane already in position.

IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI 256MB Vram
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
Message 11 of 15
mailswamp
in reply to: zma1013

True. There is no beautiful solutions so this is the solution.

Message 12 of 15
mailswamp

How do I make the workplane that resambles the center of the part stay in the center of that part?

The only way I had achieved that was by grounding the center plane with the  main part. There is a better way to do it, but I cannot put the plain in the folder of the main part in the model tree. How do I make sure the plane doesn't move when I mate it with the other plane without grounding? This is getting pretty complicated. Harder than PTC ProE was...

How do I know if both planes are flush?

Thank you for all the time you spend on me. 

Message 13 of 15
mailswamp

PS:

I verified the model with the measure tools.

It looks symmetrical. But Autodesk needs to add more constraints to make it easier to build things symetrical. 

Message 14 of 15
cwhetten

You need to create the mid-point or mid-plane (either will work) in the part itself, NOT the assembly.  Open the part in another window just to make sure that you are not referencing any assembly geometry when you create the point or plane.  Then constrain it in the assembly.

-cwhetten

Message 15 of 15
mailswamp

I solved the problem by making those bars extrude from a center plane in both directions. Now I found some serious bugs in Inventor. But they are not related to this. SO thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report