Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make surface from equation?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dalecanka
3957 Views, 6 Replies

How to make surface from equation?

Hello

I need to make a model of saddle surface. The surface is given by equation z = y^2 - x^2, and I must have some thickness - It will be printed on 3D printer.

I have Inventor 2014 and I dont see possibility of making the surface directly in Inventor. Is there any trick for that?

I'm afraid I cannot use solution as stated here Equation-driven surface , because saddle surface looks like this hyperbolic paraboloid .

I tried this solution: I made 3D surface in Matlab, exported it in .stl and opened in Inventor - but this only makes the surface with no thickness. Functions extrude, loft require 2D sketch. Any trick for this?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
alewer
in reply to: dalecanka

@dalecanka wrote:

I'm afraid I cannot use solution as stated here Equation-driven surface ...

Unless my math fails me, you can do exactly as explained in that link. Can't you get it by sweeping z = x^2 along z = -y^2?

Depending on how you want this printed, one of the attached (or a variant) should be a good starting point. Let me know how it works, and post a picture of your printed part!

Message 3 of 7
CCarreiras

Hi!

If you got the stl, Convert the stl to iges. (Autocad Mechanical will translate stl to dxf or igs)

Then in Inventor, open the iges and apply the Thickness Tool to the surface. (in Inventor, You can't use Thickeness tool directely in impoerted stl)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 4 of 7
glenn-chun
in reply to: alewer

alewer nailed it.  If the parameter d4 is changed to 2 inches, the parallel sweep surface will become exactly like WolframAlpha's example.

hyperbolic_paraboloid.png

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 5 of 7
glenn-chun
in reply to: glenn-chun

Just FYI, alewer's model creates a surface of z = x^2 - y^2.

If you want z = y^2 - z^2, change the sign in each equation in alewer's model, and you will see this surface:

z_y2_x2.png

Glenn

Related topic:

Hyperboloid of One Sheet

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 6 of 7
dalecanka
in reply to: alewer

Thank you all for your advices:)

I think I misunderstood the sweep tool before. Your solution works - I took your model of saddle, adjusted it a bit and added a holder (see in attachment).

As soon as I have photo from 3D printer, I will post it here.

Message 7 of 7
dalecanka

See the printed model in the attachment. Thank you for your advances 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report