Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make old version the latest version

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
karthur1
2964 Views, 7 Replies

How to make old version the latest version

In Vault 2014 PRE- Sub release 1, we were able to check out an out-of-date version in Inventor. "Most" of the time we never wanted to check-out an out-of-date version, but sometimes this was needed when we needed to revert back to a prior version (design change, mistake or whatever).

I have this situation now, where I need to revert back to a prior version.  I dont see a way to check-out the old version so I can move it forward.

2014-05-29_1707.png

What is the trick?

Thanks,

Kirk

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

This might help Kirk.

http://blogs.rand.com/support/2011/10/gotta-get-back-in-time-with-a-previous-version-in-autodesk-vau...

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 8

Brendan,

I noticed you are using Vault 2013. Prior to the 2014 Vault Subscription Release 1, Vault worked the way the blog outlines.  But after this release, we are no longer allowed to checkout an out-of-date file.  

Below is a screen shot from Vault Pro 2015.  This part is currently at version 3.  I want to move version 1 back to the current version, but I am unable to check it out.  Even changing the option to not download the file, makes no difference.  It still cant be checked out.

2014-06-02_1030.png

Message 4 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: karthur1

I finally got this to work.  Here is a short video of my steps.  Here is an outline of my steps.

1. In Vault, get the latest and check it out.

2. Now fine the historical version in Vault that you want to bring forward to the latest.  Now  Get/checkout on that version. Vault should prompt you something like "...xyz is checked out to you. Do you want to overwrite...?'.  Say "yes" here.

3. Now in Inventor, the browser shows you are out-of-date (which you actually are).  However, you can now right-click and select "Check-in".

4.  This is will make the older version the current version in vault.

Vault Pro 2015

Kirk

Message 5 of 8
karthur1

In Vault Pro 2017, they added a "Revert to Latest" command.  See the post here that explains how to use it.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-forum/revert-a-file-to-an-older-version-in-vault/m-p/7809479

Message 6 of 8

There's another way I just discovered. I neglected to follow the @karthur1 process/solution and found myself a week's + worth of work with old versions on my laptop. The process is similar but gets you out of a bind further downstream.

Process:

1.) Shutdown Inventor

2.) Locate the old version file(s) on your laptop and move to another folder.

3.) In Vault, Get/Check-out the current version file(s).

4.) On your laptop, move the old version file(s) and overwrite the current version file(s).

5.) Open Inventor and the old version files are now checked out and current.

I hope this helps someone.

-Ethan

Message 7 of 8

Useful info:

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
64-Bit Edition
Build: 208, Release: 2023.1.1 - Date: Fri 09/02/2022

Autodesk Vault Professional 2023
Build 28.1.127.0
2023.1.1 Update
Message 8 of 8
Frederick_Law

You can try "Roll Back Lifecycle State Change".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report