Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Menu, Ribbon, and Browser Text much larger for visually impaired

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
hw77377
15684 Views, 15 Replies

How to make Menu, Ribbon, and Browser Text much larger for visually impaired

1) Toolbar Icons: I really need them to be twice the size.

2) Menu Text: Again twice the size (at least)

3) Ribbon Icons: Twice the size WITH text and text twice the size.  ( am able to select Ribbob "Large" but then the text goes away)

4) Browser: Everthing in browser needs to be Twice the size (at least).

I undersatnd for smaller monitors all of the above would limit the drawing area. Becasue of my poor vision I have Dual 30" monitors with resolution 2560X1600 to assist with my need to display larger text and icons in other programs.

Please DO NOT refer me to that silly Windows Magnifier it's a joke and MS should be ashamed of it.

I posted this message to the Instalaltion forum:
The reply I got was:

"AutoCAD's OPTIONS command, DISPLAY tab, check the box USE LARGE BUTONS FOR TOOLBARS.
Then same location, next CheckBox down, to resize Ribbon icons (or look up RIBBONICONSIZE system variable).
Plus what you found for the Ribbon as you noted.

Everything else is controlled by Windows Display settings for the most part."  

Unfortunately there is NO "USE LARGE BUTONS FOR TOOLBARS" check box in Inventor 2014 LT.

I hope Autodesk is able to help..... let's see.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
akhidrosyidi
in reply to: hw77377

Try this one..

1. Right Click on the ribbon.

2. Select Ribbon Appearence.

3. Select Large.

large icon.GIF

daily works with :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor Profesional 2014.
AutoCAD Mechanical 2014.
Autodesk Vault Profesional 2014.
Message 3 of 16
hw77377

Thanks but I mentioned this: See my item #3 it is not a solution because the text goes away, and the toolbar icons remain the same small size.

I understand that the feature I'm looking for is available in the ful version ($$$$) so all I can conclude is AutoDesk does not give a hoot about people with impaired vision and all they worry about is the bottom line.

That in itself is not a bad thing, but they should not discard "us" (me included) onto the pile if human rejects just because nature gave us poor vision.

I find it hard to believe that they consciously are doing this, I prefer to think that it was an oversight, however Autodesk has a bad habit of hiding unless I'm willing to spend $$$ on paid help; even though this is a new purchase.  All I have is access to these forums, and I do appreciate the help and  suggestions.

Years ago when I contacted Adobe about allowing color and background changes to the pdf reader they bent over backwards to accomodate (thank you Adobe), and I feel sure AutoDesk will do the same thing once they become aware of the problem inside of their bubble.

Allowing Large Toolbar Icons is NOT exactly an industry secret or super feature !

Thanks

Message 4 of 16
mcgyvr

Did you try the options in Windows itself ?..

control panel....appearance and personalization...display

see attached

or just lower your resolution?

out of curiosity... glasses? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 16
hw77377

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I have my setting at 150% already!  That's also the reason I have high res monitors so as to still be able to get some working area. My screen looks much like the old 800X600 ! I've also tried just about every magnifier program out there but they all have limitations.

Yes Glasses and cataracts. I use superfocus glasses see it at superfocus-dot-com They help a lot however I'm now considering surgery to replace my lenes which is a natural part of cataract surgery these days. !

Are you using the full version of Inventor ?

On a post to the Installation Forum it was suggested that I use Options\Display\ USE LARGE TOOLBAR BUTTONS 

Could you please confirm that there really is such a feature.

Thanks

Message 6 of 16
mcgyvr

@hw77377 wrote:

On a post to the Installation Forum it was suggested that I use Options\Display\ USE LARGE TOOLBAR BUTTONS 

Could you please confirm that there really is such a feature.

Thanks

No thats not there..

Your best bet is the options already stated or I'd highly suspect maybe there is a better magnifier/screen reader/accessibility tool out there.. 

Surely Inventor cannot be the only program you have problems with..

Time for surgery IMO.. if its that bad.. 

Or ditch the puny 30" monitors and get a projector

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 16
hw77377
in reply to: akhidrosyidi

Thanks that was suggested earlier but it does not make the ToolBar Icons any larger AND the ribbon text goes away.

Look at my original post itme 3) I've already tried this.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 16
mcgyvr

@hw77377 wrote:

Thanks that was suggested earlier but it does not make the ToolBar Icons any larger AND the ribbon text goes away.

Look at my original post itme 3) I've already tried this.

Thanks.

yes I know.. I was just stating thats the only options you have in Inventor. 

You need to search for a solution outside of the individual programs.. Surely there must be a program for Windows for additional accessibility functionality. screen readers,etc... 

Message 9 of 16
mrattray

You're not the only one with bad eyes (although I suspect yours are worse than mine). Have you tried playing with these options?

Capture.JPG

Edit: This will fix the browser and sketch dimensions, but I don't know how to make the ribbon icons bigger than they are by default.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 16
hw77377
in reply to: mrattray

Maike, Thanks... I am new to Inventor 2014 LT so your tips will be useful also.

I wonder if anyone using the full version of Inventor could look on the Options Dialog/Display and tell me if there is a Check Box to allow "USE LARGE TOOLBAR ICONS"  I'm curious because I was told to use that, but Inventor 2014LT does not have that feature on the Program Options /Display page.

May be I should post a new Message asking that question.

Message 11 of 16
hw77377
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks but I've tried them all and most magnifier programs suck.

It's not as if Large Icons on the toolbar is a trade secret, or a special feature that needs to be reserved for the full priced version.

I would like to know if the feature to use Large Icons on the Toolbar available in full versions of Inventor ?

Thanks for the suggestions.  I do appreciate the input.

Message 12 of 16
mrattray

There's no option like that in "full" Inventor that I am aware of. (I double checked for you, just to be sure)
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 16
mcgyvr

@hw77377 wrote:

Thanks but I've tried them all and most magnifier programs suck.

It's not as if Large Icons on the toolbar is a trade secret, or a special feature that needs to be reserved for the full priced version.

I would like to know if the feature to use Large Icons on the Toolbar available in full versions of Inventor ?

Thanks for the suggestions.  I do appreciate the input.

Large icons isn't special.. Its already available. 

It just doesn't also feature gigantic text that you demand..

You are going to have to find a compromise. 

You can submit a feature request to Autodesk here.. 

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

and here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

Message 14 of 16
dgorsman
in reply to: mcgyvr

That poster may have thought the OP was referring to AutoCAD, not Inventor.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 15 of 16
tommygaiser

I would like to increase the font size of the text in the ribbon in Inventor.  While the text size for the browser can be increased from 8 to 9 in the Applications Options>General>Text appearance, increasing text size in the ribbon is not an option.  Likewise, using Windows>Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization does not provide a way to accomplish this.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Message 16 of 16
david.wartaJA24W

I have not found a solution yet. In the best case scenario Autodesk will implement scaling correctly. So that if you use 200% scaling you get a nice and sharp picture of all the menus. For example when you use a 4k display that is smaller than 30inch. But it requires higher resolution icons for all the buttons. Maybe they can upscale them? 

D.Warta
Van Halteren Technologies Boxtel B.V., Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report